No announcement yet.

Garner SP Exotic Archery Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you John for that detailed write up. I plan to use your information next month when I go for the last archery hunt period at GSP. Hopefully I can be lucky enough to harvest one of those elusive Axis.

Comment

"The hunter in compartment 3 baited with Chaffhaye and at one point had some Axis coming at him from a strong upwind down a game trail and when they saw the Chaffhaye they stomped, snorted, and ran off. He said it was likely that they detected his ground scent, but wasn't sure if the bait made them more nervous or not."

Having been there only for the exotic gun hunt, I would say it's the latter. Chaffhaye and alfalfa is not year round forage. It's likely that group has linked those things to hunters in the area. Just my opinion that's not worth 0.5 cents.

Comment

I hunted number 1 last year and was luck to see plenty of axis, but didn't get the job done. I was suffering from a major sinus infection and tried to push through it, but just couldn't stop the urge to cough. Pretty sure the deer could hear me for miles. LOL.

Comment

My daughter drew this hunt in January.

Did you lodge at the park or somewhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post

Hey Randy. I camped in the park in the Oakmont area on the river. The site was nice with electricity and water and about 50 yds from a hot shower with good water pressure every evening. It was my first time to camp in 20 years and I had no issues aside from packing up camp in the sleet. The only negative to camping where i did is that it was as far from the park entrance as possible and you have to drive out of the park to get to all of the archery units. It just meant i was leaving camp 10m before i would have had to if I had camped closer to the front gate. There are numerous private cabins for rent in the area as well if you don't want to stay in the park.

Comment

Originally posted by trek8500xtr View Post
              Hey Randy. I camped in the park in the Oakmont area on the river. The site was nice with electricity and water and about 50 yds from a hot shower with good water pressure every evening. It was my first time to camp in 20 years and I had no issues aside from packing up camp in the sleet. The only negative to camping where i did is that it was as far from the park entrance as possible and you have to drive out of the park to get to all of the archery units. It just meant i was leaving camp 10m before i would have had to if I had camped closer to the front gate. There are numerous private cabins for rent in the area as well if you don't want to stay in the park.
              I appreciate it. The cabins on site show to be booked. So we are trying to decide if we want to camp in the park or go stay somewhere else.

Comment

I appreciate it. The cabins on site show to be booked. So we are trying to decide if we want to camp in the park or go stay somewhere else.
                I would call the park and make sure. I found that the availability wasn't accurate online for the hunt weeks because of the park being varying degrees of "closed". The cabins in the park didn't appear to be a huge upgrade over camping and are relatively expensive. If I was going to pay $100+ per night for lodging I would at least look into some of the offsite cabin options.

Comment

When I hunted this past January, I stayed at Criders on the Frio (http://cridersonthefrio.com/) trh a Groupon getaway deal ($55/night), about 2 miles from the park entrance. I was glad I did, cause it got down into the 20's and there were frozen water lines at the cabin and all the RV's at the park. Those in tents reported being pretty chilly.
                  Last edited by .270; 12-12-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I am pitching a tent at a campsite in the park. Based on this past January's temps, it can be from the teens to the 80's. The wind appears to shift almost daily too.

Comment

I drew the hunt for January, I think that dad and I are going to tent/hammock camp.

Thanks for all of the helpful info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Michaela View Post
                        I drew the hunt for January, I think that dad and I are going to tent/hammock camp.

Thanks for all of the helpful info!
                        Congrats on drawing and good luck!

Comment

Great info John,your detailed description of your hunt will really be helpful.

Comment

Great info, thanks!

Randy, did your daughter draw the January archery hunt? Are you going down with her? I'll be there with Mo.

Shootnstr8, give me a shout next time you're in my neighborhood! Looks like we may have good TBH representation on this hunt!
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great info. Super helpful. Hope to get drawn this lifetime.

Comment

I camped in the rv section near the river. The only negative was I had to deal with a bunch of college girls that decided to camp next to me. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X