Mule Deer West TX Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mule Deer West TX Hunting

I got on a deer lease this year with a good group of friends out in west Texas, the ranch is between big bend and black gap WMA, anyone got any advise on hunting some of this country? We are MLD so we get to hunt through the rut in december, i went out and spent a few days out there this past month and am planning the next trip up for december. Any advice from anyone who has hunted mule deer out that way I'm open for knowledge!

Beautiful looking place

No help but good luck

Comment

Take some good optics.

Comment

Comment

Rifle or bow?

Comment

Amazing.

Comment

rifle or bow, when we drove around we saw a ton of does and most of them would let you get real close, most of the bucks didn't run very far either

Comment

going to try to spot and stalk one with my bow

Comment

Spend as much time in a good location to view lots of country from and where your glass out. Let it do your leg work. Do not look for those Mule Deer in whitetail looking cover or habitat. Not to familiar with numbers there but where I hunted up north towards IH-10 along 67 we had very low deer numbers. 2-6 deer per section type numbers. We found that our older bucks did not go to water very often also, more like every 3-5 days. We checked water troughs or holes for sign and then found that we found most deer around 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the water. Early season they might still be in batchelor groups and the later into the season you get the closer to the rut you get. The rut on the place we hunted was usually after Christmas and we did not have MLD. Good luck and you will become addicted to Mule Deer hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                    Spend as much time in a good location to view lots of country from and where your glass out. Let it do your leg work. Do not look for those Mule Deer in whitetail looking cover or habitat. Not to familiar with numbers there but where I hunted up north towards IH-10 along 67 we had very low deer numbers. 2-6 deer per section type numbers. We found that our older bucks did not go to water very often also, more like every 3-5 days. We checked water troughs or holes for sign and then found that we found most deer around 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the water. Early season they might still be in batchelor groups and the later into the season you get the closer to the rut you get. The rut on the place we hunted was usually after Christmas and we did not have MLD. Good luck and you will become addicted to Mule Deer hunting.
                    looking forward to it! the place is awesome lots of water work done, we are about 10 miles north of the rio grande. so pretty far south. but he has put it lots of water and feed stations so he keep the doe numbers up we do not get to shoot any does, there are lots of quail on the place

Comment

New buggy to get around the place it has pretty good roads all the way around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

ive only been hunting them a few years now,
                        they seem to act like quail do, they stay still and think they are hidden
                        our does come to our feeders regularly, so do the young bucks

still haven't seen "the one" yet so no tips on hunting the monsters

Comment

and yes its addicting

Comment

Noice man. Don't see too many people on here with Honda UTVs. Seems like ranger or mule for the majority. Honda stuff has always worked for us.

Comment

That’s awesome. Keep the pics rolling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X