Going to record my hunt for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to record my hunt for the first time

I've got a great spot, and I'm hunting out of a elevated wood box blind. The interior is blacked out. I've added black vinyl tape to all silver exposed surfaces on my little digital Sony camera. I made sure all the sounds and lights were turned off. I'm going to put it on a tripod in the lower left corner of the front window, set on wide view to start. The battery is charged, and I have a good card installed in it.

I should have asked earlier... but does it sound like I have most things covered? Any advice?

All the best,
    Glenn

Sounds like you got it going your way! Just don't forget to hit record! Been there done that haha good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

1. make sure there isn't any sticks or branches between your camera and the expected target area... the camera will focus on the branch vs the target.
        2. If possible, use lighted knocks. They make the post shot video processing much better.
        3. Video some of the recovery and you with the kills. Will help years down the road when your reliving the experience.
        4. A little commentary before / after always adds a personal touch. (optional)

Here is a short two minute version of said tips above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf3ZXD1hmTk

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post
          Sounds like you got it going your way! Just don't forget to hit record! Been there done that haha good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
          X2 on hitting record !!

Comment

Here is another video that is a prime example showing the lighted knock (good) but having something between yourself and the animal that draws the cameras focus (bad). My cameraman realizes it at the last minute before the buck topples over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQbz0Uo9b18
            Last edited by Woj; 10-07-2016, 04:06 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I haven't got a shot yet, so I have nothing to show for my efforts except a bit of practice. I found out a few things:

1) My breathing inside my wooden box blind is LOUD. Just sitting there, calmly watching a couple of fawns and some turkeys (hens), it sounds like I'm ramped up and ready to shoot a monster buck. I thought I was breathing normally and quietly. It shows up very loud on the recording.

2) Lithium batteries drive me crazy, and require regular maintenance. This one wasn't properly cared for, and I thought it would be ok after I charged it - it showed good. Guess not. I need a new one. My "extended life" battery showed 6+ hours of recording time on this Sony camera. I figured for the small amount of actual shooting I'd be doing, I had plenty. Recorded fawns and turkeys for 10 minutes, recorded a mole / gopher / something (a tunneling creature) under my feeder for 5 minutes, recorded a second set of fawns and a doe for a few minutes - camera shut off. Dead. Probably didn't last 30 minutes overall.

3) This camera is a pain to get to work when you need it to work. You have to open the viewfinder on the side for it to come on (or to access the power button inside). Then you can hit record. Well, when it comes on, there is a bright blue screen that pops up. Lights up the whole inside of the blind. I fixed that by putting a thin glove over the viewfinder. But after a period of time, it goes into what I thought was a "sleep" mode, as I hadn't hit record yet. I figured if I pressed record, it would start working. Nope. You either have to press the power button first, or close / reopen the viewfinder. So I then figured out that if I leave the glove on the viewfinder, it will still close most of the way, allowing the camera to turn off. Then I just need to pull open the viewfinder and hit record when I need it. It's more steps than I like, and I'm always nervous about the glove coming off before the bright blue screen pops up (happened once already), or me knocking the camera off-target with extra movement.

Eventually, I'm going to have to buy a dedicated hunting camera.

All the best,
              Glenn

Comment

Great shots good deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X