Cool stuff at Texas A&M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool stuff at Texas A&M

I've gotten in pretty good with the Agrilife department at A&M, they keep hiring me to come take pictures at events. I had a gig yesterday, and another today at 10:30 actually, with Dr. Catherine Woteki, USDA Chief Scientist and Under Secretary for Research, Education, and Economics.

Yesterday I got to follow her around a campus tour where she gave a speech to the local USDA, met with student workers, and got a behind the scenes look at the management meetings at the Southern Plains Agricultural Research Center, here in College Station.

Most of the pictures are fairly boring and just consist of her talking and/or meeting with people but I did manage to get a bit artsy in between shots.

Walkin' in High Cotton. by cameronlgott, on Flickr

It only gets cooler, after that meeting I went with them to the National Center for Electron Beam and Space Food Research - Food Technology Facility on campus. Which was VERY cool, because first off, I didn't even know it existed, and second I got a private tour where I learned that 90% of all space food is made right there on campus at Texas A&M. The International Space Station is being fed strictly by Aggies.

Sadly, I don't have any "cool" pictures from the food tour, just a bunch of her talking to the guy that runs the place. However, it didn't stop there!

We got a pretty exclusive tour of the electron beam, which was WAY cool. They shut the plant down and took us into the belly of the beast, talk about creepy and awesome. We got to see the entire facility, even where the beams do their job, nothing like taking a stairway down under the ground with a sign that clearly reads "Grave Danger - Do Not Enter" on the door, in a tiny little hallway with 14 foot walls on each side!

I'm rambling now, I'll just let the pictures do the talking. I'd love to get a chance to go back and get more pictures focusing on the facility and less focused on the meeting. When I'm getting paid to take pictures of something I try not to stray from the subject matter too much.

I thought this was funny, this is the machine that makes electrons into awesomeness. It uses floppy disks!

Electron Beams Use Floppy Discs? by cameronlgott, on Flickr

Hoses.

Electron Beam and Space Food Research / Food Technology Facility by cameronlgott, on Flickr

There were meters galore! I was keeping my eye on the lights throughout the trip, if they turned red...we were dead.

Electron Beam and Space Food Research / Food Technology Facility by cameronlgott, on Flickr

This is the conveyor belt that lives inside the beam chamber...we had 6 people down in their, it was pretty tight so I couldn't get a lot of cool shots.

This is the machine that makes the beam, and the guy who is the head of the facility. I'm not sure if he invented it or not, but he is pretty much a genius.

Another situation where I wish there would have been more space inside of this chamber, the shot was tight, it was dark, but I did what I could with it.

"Frickin' Lazer Beams"

That's all I've got for now, I'll try to post more tomorrow when I finish editing them.

Gig 'em!
    Last edited by Cameron; 03-28-2012, 07:28 AM.

Sweet pixels Cam

Comment

Impressive! You're getting some great opportunities and experience! Thanks so much for sharing them with us. What's cooler than laser beams?!?!
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great work, Cameron!

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Impressive! You're getting some great opportunities and experience! Thanks so much for sharing them with us. What's cooler than laser beams?!?!
        Sharks with laser beams?

Comment

You continue to impress!
          Awesome work, Cameron.

Comment

Nice work! I might be heading up there today for work so thanks for the reminder to take my camera.

Comment

That's so awesome.. I sure love Aggieland and all the great opportunities there

Comment

Very cool! Congratulations!

Comment

Awesome shots. Would you be willing to do an editing thread? Maybe take a couple pics, show the raw file and the final, with a quick discussion of what you did and in what order. I am so lost on where to start with the editing.

Comment

Anything in Aggieland is good times. Love the pic of the aggie ring and cotton.

Comment

cool

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        Great work, Cameron!

Sharks with laser beams?
                        lmao

Comment

Nice photos!

Comment

Nice!

Comment