Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Management buck from yesterday. Jaw/ tooth age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
    Had to look at this again. I look more at the dentine than at the crests. Dentine first, crests, ridges, ect., second. Without a downward angle and just looking at that 4th tooth, that jaw shows at least 4.5. Most of our 5 year olds have a 4th like that, but I'm not gonna call this one a 5 year old until I see a downward angle on that jaw.

I've said it before, but as time goes on...I put less and less faith in aging by teeth. Sure, you can see what a jaw is SUPPOSED to age out at. But in my experience it can be a very inaccurate system. And I think a lot of others will agree with this.
    I'll state it a little stronger. I give NO credibility to tooth wear as an aging tool once a deer is past 2. Once they get 4 or older tooth wear is all over the charts with essentially no correlation . The general trend I see is that tooth wear is almost always a year or two behind a deer and frequently more as the deer get older.

For grins here is a jaw off a 10 yr old.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      I'll state it a little stronger. I give NO credibility to tooth wear as an aging tool once a deer is past 2. Once they get 4 or older tooth wear is all over the charts with essentially no correlation . The general trend I see is that tooth wear is almost always a year or two behind a deer and frequently more as the deer get older.

For grins here is a jaw off a 10 yr old.
      You know, I'm not gonna argue with any of this. I have seen the SAME thing too many times.

And by the tooth-wear method I would call that jaw you are holding an 8 year old. Just proves your point even more.

Comment

Working...
      X