"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck...

When I get back from the Shoot-out I will be ready to hit Granger with some of you guys. Looking at March 6th when I can go... Round em all up!

Comment

I'm heading back into town and plan on hitting up some spots during the weekend sometime.

Comment

Patching up the canoe for GRXH. Might head.......

Comment

I packed the boat tonight I am heading out before daylight to go after some bacon, it would be great if I could see a few, maybe maybe not I will see what luck has in store for me tomorrow.

Comment

Buddy of mine got two below the dam last week.

Comment

Anybody goin out sat eve (for pigs, I mean, not for like beer or dinner)?

Comment

Muzzy just dropped one a little while ago, he sent me a pic on my cell. I was not there so I let him give a report when he gets in.

Comment

I am Gtek. Sat afternoon gate 6 I believe is the plan. Going to hit me spot south of it then do some scouting on the north part. Seems to have more action there but I have bait out south. Want to see if still getting hit and if I need to fill it back up. After the sun goes down the game changes and am meeting a buddy out there for beer and crappie, whites, or cats what ever is hungry.

Comment

Brought Home The Bacon

Here is the story for those who are interested in reading.

I headed out early this morning on the boat and found the area I have seen recent activity in. I chained up the boat and headed in, it wasn’t 30 minutes later I ran into another hunter. I asked the individual which way he had came from because I had no desire to walk what he already pushed through. After a quick exchange of info we set out are separate ways about 15 minutes following the meeting with the first hunter I walked upon 2 more who clearly had no ideal what they were doing. Frustrated that I was seeing so many people I hiked back to the canoe and went to a totally off the wall location that I picked at complete random. I again chained up the boat and headed in, this time I got no more than 50 yards away when I got into a group of hogs. The hogs busted and ran like there was no tomorrow. I almost never chase hogs I always try to sneak up on them or circle around. But Crod had mentioned to me in a previous hunt that he has ran at them and separated the group and sometimes a pig might stop if you are lucky. These pigs busted so hard I decides to try and sure enough I separated a few of the smaller hogs from the group, but unforchently they merely ran just as fast in the opposite direction. Contemplating what to do next I hear the hogs that I originally separated coming back down the trail they just ran. I squatted down and drew my bow. I was standing directly on the path they were coming down I waited till they were 10 yards away and sunk one in the center of the chest of the first pig. I watched as my features disappeared on the front pigs chest and exit the right side of it body. Having lost a pig a week ago I decided to stay on this ones tail as he pasted me I knew it shouldn’t be long, I quickly thought I had to have sent one through its broiler room, and just a mere 30 to 40 yards the pig pilled up. Being so close to the canoe was great I dragged him about 100 yards loaded up and headed out. The pig was a little bit smaller than I would have liked. I mention he it was actually a little sow weighing 42 ponds live weight. She was little smaller than I originally thought when I walked up to her but, she should be great for BBQ. LIGHTS OUT!!!

Thanks For Reading

FYI I have cleaned some nasty hogs in my day but this thing was loaded with white lice and more ticks than you can shake a stick at, and for being as small as it was it had a strong piggy smell.
                    Attached Files

Comment

good deal there muzzy. I like reading the hunts better than , I shot a hog today was this big. Thanks for sharing. You making ti for the GRXH

Comment

yea I am planning on it, did you say you shot one today

Comment

Quick question when yall kill a Hog like in Muzzys case, full of lice and ticks... What steps do ysll take to avoid them or get rid of them? Just curious cuz I imagine 9 outta 10 hogs killed probably got em... In my case I would have to drag it to the truck and take it home. Or would yall take equipment and quarter at granger????

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
                            Here is the story for those who are interested in reading.

I headed out early this morning on the boat and found the area I have seen recent activity in. I chained up the boat and headed in, it wasn’t 30 minutes later I ran into another hunter. I asked the individual which way he had came from because I had no desire to walk what he already pushed through. After a quick exchange of info we set out are separate ways about 15 minutes following the meeting with the first hunter I walked upon 2 more who clearly had no ideal what they were doing. Frustrated that I was seeing so many people I hiked back to the canoe and went to a totally off the wall location that I picked at complete random. I again chained up the boat and headed in, this time I got no more than 50 yards away when I got into a group of hogs. The hogs busted and ran like there was no tomorrow. I almost never chase hogs I always try to sneak up on them or circle around. But Crod had mentioned to me in a previous hunt that he has ran at them and separated the group and sometimes a pig might stop if you are lucky. These pigs busted so hard I decides to try and sure enough I separated a few of the smaller hogs from the group, but unforchently they merely ran just as fast in the opposite direction. Contemplating what to do next I hear the hogs that I originally separated coming back down the trail they just ran. I squatted down and drew my bow. I was standing directly on the path they were coming down I waited till they were 10 yards away and sunk one in the center of the chest of the first pig. I watched as my features disappeared on the front pigs chest and exit the right side of it body. Having lost a pig a week ago I decided to stay on this ones tail as he pasted me I knew it shouldn’t be long, I quickly thought I had to have sent one through its broiler room, and just a mere 30 to 40 yards the pig pilled up. Being so close to the canoe was great I dragged him about 100 yards loaded up and headed out. The pig was a little bit smaller than I would have liked. I mention he it was actually a little sow weighing 42 ponds live weight. She was little smaller than I originally thought when I walked up to her but, she should be great for BBQ. LIGHTS OUT!!!

Thanks For Reading

FYI I have cleaned some nasty hogs in my day but this thing was loaded with white lice and more ticks than you can shake a stick at, and for being as small as it was it had a strong piggy smell.
                            Great kill Muzzy.

Comment

Great Kill and good read. I was out fishing today onm the river and didnt have my bow. Of course I see a small 25lb pig hobbling around with a broken left left. I could have ran it down on foot but decided to leave it be . About 50 yards up from that spot i bust a group of about 10 that were no more than 20 yards from me. Funny how this works. By the way I didnt catch any fish. Next time im gonna fish with my backpack that carries my bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
                                for being as small as it was it had a strong piggy smell.
                                Were you in "D"? That's the south side of the river where the Primitive camp is.

We've gotten small really stinky ones out of there also for some reason.

Good job on the porkage.

Comment

Working...
                                X