Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT...what is the best "long range" cal. gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm

Comment

I'm going with the 155mm Crusader.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
      I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

oh...you mean rifle?

no clue.

Comment

Originally posted by InfantryCPT View Post
        We've updated a bit, we still have the M24 in service, however the 7.62s are all going to an AR-10 platform the M110, great rifles, the 338s are all over the SOCOM guys, there a popular happy medium between the beast .50 and the 7.62
        The AR-10 is sweeter than a Mother's love.

Comment

A 300 Wthby should be able to do anything you want. 19 inches at 400 yards is no big deal. 19 clickks on a good scope, dope the wind, squeeze, and bang.

I dropped a cow elk at 546 with my 300 wsm last yeah and have on film shooting a pronghorn buck at 487 this year with a 7mm rem.

Neither has as much oomf as the 300 Wthby with factory ammo (I handload for mine and my 300wsm loads are pretty close to what factory wthby loads are)...but knowing your trajectory for your guns (i have mine taped to the stocks of both my longrange guns) is the key.

Some good ballistic tables and a good rangefinder coupled with good glass and a gun that is a shoooter to start with (assuming your 300 is a shooter) is all you need to get started in the right direction. The rest is just practice.

Comment

A .270 Win. with a 130 gr BTSP is all you need.

Comment

50 bmg

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntermac View Post
                A 300 Wthby should be able to do anything you want. 19 inches at 400 yards is no big deal. 19 clickks on a good scope, dope the wind, squeeze, and bang.

I dropped a cow elk at 546 with my 300 wsm last yeah and have on film shooting a pronghorn buck at 487 this year with a 7mm rem.

Neither has as much oomf as the 300 Wthby with factory ammo (I handload for mine and my 300wsm loads are pretty close to what factory wthby loads are)...but knowing your trajectory for your guns (i have mine taped to the stocks of both my longrange guns) is the key.

Some good ballistic tables and a good rangefinder coupled with good glass and a gun that is a shoooter to start with (assuming your 300 is a shooter) is all you need to get started in the right direction. The rest is just practice.
                Maybe I just need me a new scope... that clicks! Then I'll be good! My .300 shoots pretty good!

Comment

assuming it is a 1/4 moa per click...if it is one of the 1/8 or 1/2 inch per click, you might miss!

Comment

.257 WBY, shot one at 473 this year..... I also have a .300 WBY but the .257 is by far my favorite, light on the shoulder and will reach out and touch 'em

Kody

Comment

Working...
                    X