Broad head weight help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broad head weight help please

I'm shooting a samick sage 50# 29" draw 400 spine gold tip 32" long. What grain head should I be shooting. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know how to tune your arrows to your bow? If so that will determine what weight you need.

Richard.

Edit: I ran your numbers through a calculator for a baseline and assuming a 12strand FF sting and four 5" fletchings you'll need about 100g head.

Comment

I'm shooting some 100grain field points cause that's all I have right now. No I'm not sure how to tune but my arrows are fly straight

Comment

you need to load the bow and head CCR.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
          you need to load the bow and head CCR.
          I'm new to this and have no clue what that means

Comment

You really need to find an experienced trad shooter in your area to help you out. There is no way to answer your question over the internet. I can tell you that if you are shooting 50# at your draw length, and you are shooting .400 spine shafts with standard aluminum inserts and 100gr points, you are probably waaaaaaaay too stiff (but even that is a guess with not knowing a lot of other info).

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
              Do you know how to tune your arrows to your bow? If so that will determine what weight you need.

Richard.

Edit: I ran your numbers through a calculator for a baseline and assuming a 12strand FF sting and four 5" fletchings you'll need about 100g head.
              This is correct..but that's only putting you a little over 8 gpp, which is a tad on the light side.

Comment

Is there any trad shooters around Pleasanton. Willing to help me out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  You really need to find an experienced trad shooter in your area to help you out. There is no way to answer your question over the internet. I can tell you that if you are shooting 50# at your draw length, and you are shooting .400 spine shafts with standard aluminum inserts and 100gr points, you are probably waaaaaaaay too stiff (but even that is a guess with not knowing a lot of other info).

Bisch
                  What he said . That sums it up or you can spen a few dollars . And learn these mistakes .

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

Till I find someone to help me out do you recommend like a 150 or 175 grain head. Or a softer spine arrow

Comment

Like Bisch said, that sounds stiff, but hard to know. You could get a test kit from 3 rivers archery that has a series of different weights. this way you shoot several shots of each weight until you get the desired flight. With traditional bows the arrow has to flex around the riser at the shot which means the spine has to be soft enough to flex and yet stiff enough to continue straight forward movement. your tip weight can substantially soften the spine by adding more weight to the nose.
                      Just some food for thought. I shoot 500 spine Goldtips cut to 29" with a 100 grain brass insert and 145 grain heads. That's 245 grains in the nose, and it shoots well from my Bear takedown. I draw 27" and have 48ish pounds at my draw length.
                      Hope something there helps you.

Comment

Thanks for the info I hate not knowing anything. Is there a bow shop around San Antonio that could help.

Comment

I shoot right at 50# at my 29" draw. I was shooting 32" Gold Tip XT Hunter .400 spine shafts with a 100gr brass insert and a 150gr point/broadhead to make them tune correct.

This "simple" trad stuff can be very frustrating and overwhelming till you start to figure things out!

I wish I still had my lease in Tilden. I would come down and help you out some.

Bisch
                          Last edited by Bisch; 11-29-2016, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsavoie22 View Post
                            Thanks for the info I hate not knowing anything. Is there a bow shop around San Antonio that could help.

I want to say there is an archery place out near Canyon Lake. Viking Archery maybe? Are you in San Antonio or in one of the outlying areas?

Oh and as far as not knowing anything, we've all been there at one time or another. Heck I'm still there.

Richard.

Comment

Good thing about gold tip arrows you can get a long wrench and weights and play with adding and or taking away weight until you get what you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X