Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
    Yep.

Anything that steps inside 15 yards of me is in trouble now... all except the landowners cows.

I guess it depends on your county/lease... but I get use of all 5 tags where I hunt and I have no problem burning all 5 on little does. Right now I am hoping I can at least fill out a tag this year.

Richard, sounds like a pretty good hunt. You saw deer and drew undetected. It will come together.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    When you have to provide meat for three families you make sure you try to get good ones.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      When you have to provide meat for three families you make sure you try to get good ones.

Gary
      They would have to be five pretty BIG deer to feed 3 families! It takes at least 5 deer to feed my ONE family.

Comment

I kill a few (30+) pigs a year and make a lot of sausage as well. One family isn't mine. I just help the best I can but my house and my daughter's eat a lot of deer meat.

Gary

Comment

Just not enough meat on them for me. Hate spending a tag on a young deer.

Gary

I would second this statement. I will shoot a full sized deer every time, but I don't shoot yearlings, at least not this early in the season, because there isn't enough meat there for me.

On the opposite side, they sure are good! You could call them a delicacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
            Thanks for all the advice and kind words folks! I really really wanted to post up that I'd gotten a deer but feel better that I didn't take a hasty or bad shot and wound her. I'm not reliant on deer meat to survive so not taking her is only a blow to morale instead of appetite.

Richard.

Richard, I think you made the ethical choice. I would hate for your first trad kill to be one you could not find.

Comment

I can verify that as fact.

Gary

Comment

If you wasn't comfortable with the shot then you made the right choice. It's your call!!

I'll shoot any legal deer that presents a shot. Where I live you don't pass up a shot on any legal deer. I have only seen 4 deer while hunting since October 1st.
                What Daniel meant to say was that he doesn't shoot at yearlings because the target is to small!!

Comment

Maybe not. Where I hunt I see deer every sit. 8 to 12 usually. But seeing a mature buck or doe isn't always amongst them.

Gary

Comment

Gary, I'd love to have those numbers. It would definitely up my odds! Lol

Comment

It's nice. It's also exoensive. Now that we've bought a place and need to fix the well, the fence, buy a tractor, etc, I may have to scale back my hunting budget.

Or get a job.[emoji24]

Gary

Comment

It's nice. It's also exoensive. Now that we've bought a place and need to fix the well, the fence, buy a tractor, etc, I may have to scale back my hunting budget.
                        Or get a job.[emoji24]

Gary
                        Don't even joke like that!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X