Sometimes a change of scenery does wonders for my shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes a change of scenery does wonders for my shooting

I shoot in my backyard 5 days a week on average - I have a big target face and a foam deer. As much as I try to change it up - shooting from different distances, hanging various objects from the target, etc it sometimes becomes a boring, unproductive routine. I lose focus too quickly or get hung up on one element of form and don't pay enough attention to putting the arrow on the spot. This weekend our club had a mini-tournament as a Toys-for-Tots fundraiser. I hooked up with another trad guy and I went around the 20 target course twice. I was really pleased with the way I shot. Something about being in the woods, shooting one arrow at a time at 3d targets helps clear the mind clutter and just focus on putting the arrow in the kill zone. We have a 3d practice course - I need to get out there more often...

That's why most of my practice is stump shooting. I typically shoot a lot better just walking around picking targets compared to trying to shoot the target in my back yard. Like you I guess I get bored and loose focus

Comment

What club are you a member of?

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        What club are you a member of?

Gary
        Cowtown Bowmen

We have done a lot of improvements out there in the last year - if you have not been you should check it out. While the majority of our members are compound shooters, we have a fair number of trad guys/gals as well. (also an increasing number of crossbow shooters) I am the director of our two annual traditional tournaments. The first one is at the end of February - I will be posting a flyer after the first of the year. Non-members are also welcome to enter the club shoots we have throughout the Spring.
        Last edited by jerp; 12-12-2016, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Was a member there back when they were out on 820. I just never went enough to make it worth my money.

Comment

Working...
          X