No announcement yet.

2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I left my stomach and broke my own heart today out there. Big doe came in to 15 yards. I was just sitting on the ground against a tree. Must have hit shoulder blade is the only thing I can think off. Took my 45 minutes running her track (no blood anywhere) down thru the bush/briars and the leaves to even find the arrow. It was a good 100 yards from where I shot her. It would have been my 1st bow kill dang it. I will be in there hunting her again to try and finish the deal. Where my thumb is was all the Penetration I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a doe and two yearlings within 10 yards but there was a limb in the way. They came in the same way i did and were smelling the ground and looking up at me. Never spooked though. Didn't see the shooter 8 I have on camera. I didn't get wet or plagued by mosquitoes so I count that as a good sit. Wind was a little chilly but all in all a good day. I'm liking more and more setting in the afternoon. Especially if I am moving around a lot. It's easier to find a good sit. I don't like tracking or field dressing at night but I guess I'll get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
        Well I left my stomach and broke my own heart today out there. Big doe came in to 15 yards. I was just sitting on the ground against a tree. Must have hit shoulder blade is the only thing I can think off. Took my 45 minutes running her track (no blood anywhere) down thru the bush/briars and the leaves to even find the arrow. It was a good 100 yards from where I shot her. It would have been my 1st bow kill dang it. I will be in there hunting her again to try and finish the deal. Where my thumb is was all the Penetration I got.

Sorry to hear that. It doesn't look like she has significant damage especially if she was able to run away. You must have hit the edge of the scapula. It's harder than the flat middle.

Comment

Sorry it didn't work out. Just about every bowhunter goes through this at some point. Chin up. You may get another crack at her.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            Had a doe and two yearlings within 10 yards but there was a limb in the way. They came in the same way i did and were smelling the ground and looking up at me. Never spooked though. Didn't see the shooter 8 I have on camera. I didn't get wet or plagued by mosquitoes so I count that as a good sit. Wind was a little chilly but all in all a good day. I'm liking more and more setting in the afternoon. Especially if I am moving around a lot. It's easier to find a good sit. I don't like tracking or field dressing at night but I guess I'll get used to it.
            I'm like you. Much prefer tracking blood and dressing deer in the daytime. But, I love me some evening hunts. I always seem to see more deer on public in the evenings. Good luck. Shoot

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
              Sorry it didn't work out. Just about every bowhunter goes through this at some point. Chin up. You may get another crack at her.

I believe I will get her before the years up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
                I'm like you. Much prefer tracking blood and dressing deer in the daytime. But, I love me some evening hunts. I always seem to see more deer on public in the evenings. Good luck. Shoot

I was in a feeding area, big oak flat, a lot of acorns. I bumped them last week trying to sneak in around 530pm so I showed up @ 4pm today and snuck in. Sure enough she comes in at 5:12pm. I have shot all my public land deer between 10AM and dark. Never one in the morning.

Comment

Same scenario on one of the first few deer I hit but did not recover on the way to my first kill. Sent the arrow, felt good until I heard this really loud "crack" instead of the duller thud I was expecting. Didn't start tracking for 2 hours. Found blood within 15 yards. 50 yards later, jumped the deer and she ran off. No more blood of any kind. I was on hands and knees looking. Pretty sure it was a scapula hit and the Montec didn't get to the vitals. Seriously, after 2 + hours of laying there she would have been dead otherwise.

Comment

Hunted yesterday from 12:30 to 4:30. No sightings. Heard a couple of deer snort but well upwind of me. Awesome afternoon weather-wise. Tried out my new first lite lightweight LS shirt. Had a compression fit tee underneath and was really comfy... The mosquitoes were almost non-existent. Where'd they all go?
                    Afterward, I stopped by Marker Cellars Vineyard (off of CR 2575) for a visit. If y'all haven't been those are super nice people. The wine is good and the cigar selection is formidable.

On the drive out of LBJ I counted 16 does and 1 good buck in a about a 1.5 mile stretch. They moved heavily from 6:45 to 7 PM into the open field edges.

Comment

Headed out there next weekend for a 3 day hunt hoping to see some rut activity saw fresh scrapes and rubs opening weekend already what do y’all think early rut this year ?

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
                        Headed out there next weekend for a 3 day hunt hoping to see some rut activity saw fresh scrapes and rubs opening weekend already what do y’all think early rut this year ?

With all the rain they should be out freshening up the scrapes getting ready for the rut

Comment

With all the rain they should be out freshening up the scrapes getting ready for the rut

I agree. Monday morning should be good for sitting active scrapes. Wish I could make it.

Comment

Deer gotta eat and move in this rain too. Shot my biggest to date between small thunderstorms/showers one morning.

Razorback, any luck this morning?

Comment

Gonna head out for the afternoon hunt today and hope I can stay the night. The weatherman says its gonna be a good Saturday.

Comment

Heading out in a couple hours to set up camp and get a morning sit in. Good luck to all.

Comment

Working...
                                X