Which Lever gun/ caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Lever gun/ caliber

Wanting to get a lever gun for tracking behind my dog mainly and maybe some close range pig killing. Have it narrowed down to .44 mag and 30-30. Wanted a .35 remington but didn’t like the bulky feel of the marlin 336, not to mention the one I looked at didn’t look great as far as fit. Looking at Henry steel in .44 mag or 30-30 or marlin 1894 in .44 mag.

I'd go with the 30-30

Comment

30-30, cheap ammo

Comment

Love my 444 and 30-30 336. Synthetic stock does wonders on the 336 with ghost ring sights by xs sights.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Marlin 1894 will stop em

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I just bought a Browning model 92 in 44 mag and love it. I think the 44 mag is just right for what you wanting. It feels like you’re carrying a toy but packs a wallop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't over look a 357. That's my tracking gun. 158 grain SP is wicked at 40 yards out of a carbine. Got a pass through on a doe at 30 yards out of a bow blind, also killed some 200+ lb boars with it at 50 yards. Bonus feature, you can run 38s out of it for plinking.

Comment

the 1894 in 44 is about as good as it gets,, ammo is easy to find, plus you can shoot 44 specials in it,, and it will blow a big hole in a deer or hog out to a 100 yards or a little farther,,,, you can go light at 180 gr or heavier than 300,,, not many rounds can do that

Comment

Henry 30-30
                  Shoot one and you’ll have your answer

Comment

I like 30-30.

Comment

Find u an ol .300 savage in a model 99, ******

Comment

Go with the .44 if you are using it with your dog. A 3030 is much more likely to pass through game where a .44 with hollow points usually will not. I have shot hundreds of hogs with a .44 and have never had a pass through. I did have one go through a young doe I was trailing once but I shot her high in the shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by MRW1981 View Post
                          Go with the .44 if you are using it with your dog. A 3030 is much more likely to pass through game where a .44 with hollow points usually will not. I have shot hundreds of hogs with a .44 and have never had a pass through. I did have one go through a young doe I was trailing once but I shot her high in the shoulder.
                          What ammo are you shooting? I’ve never had a .44 stay inside anything.

Comment

30-30 is a great gun!

Comment

For what you want the .44 Mag is perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X