X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzleloading

This is the way we used to do it.
    Attached Files

Something special hunting with a traditional blackpowder rifle, just like with a long bow!

Comment

Yep, I built a number of those rifles. Your duds sure look new and clean...

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
        Yep, I built a number of those rifles. Your duds sure look new and clean...
        They were new and clean. I had just finished making them.

Comment

What's all the fringe for? What function other than very fashionable

Comment

I have a couple ML but no way am I dressing up.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
              Fringe served several purposes. Fringe broke up your outline, particularly if they were blowing in the wind. Longer fringe could be cut off and used as ties. Fringe aided in water run-off of the material.
              Last edited by Phillip Fields; 12-23-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                I have a couple ML but no way am I dressing up.
                I used to be active in the Mountain Man Rendevous scene. The buckskins I have on in the picture are hand sewn from a pattern from the 1830s. Everything I had on, except for the boots was historically accurate.

Comment

Pelleted powder, 209 primers, belted bullets have kilt all that...

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                    Pelleted powder, 209 primers, belted bullets have kilt all that...
                    Maybeso, but some of us like to occasionally get out and do it like our ancestors did. The rifle in the photo has taken approximately 35 deer for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                      Fringe served several purposes. Fringe broke up your outline, particularly if they were blowing in the wind. Longer fringe could be cut off and used as ties. Fringe aided in water run-off of the material.
                      Thanks. I've often wondered the reasoning. Seen it in movies and old photos but had no idea

Comment

You want to watch some entertaining YouTube videos of hunting the old way look up some of leatherwood outdoors muzzleloader hunts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                          Kept the flys away when it blew in the wind.

Comment

Saw several older guys wearing buck skins in the four years I lived in VA. I swear one of the guys I would see around Blacksburg was born in the 1800’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Friendship Indiana used to be a cool place. Years ago when the Jeremiah Johnson movie came out, every one wanted buckskin. I still got my 40 cal target rifle that jack garner built for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X