Management Buck I Shot This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management Buck I Shot This Weekend

Howdy TBH, I have always enjoyed reading the reports, and seeing pics/videos of peoples kills big or small, so I figured I would share mine from this past weekend.

Last week was a pretty rough week after finding out the news of a friend of mines tragic death(See the Accidental Shooting - Hotwells Thread if you're unaware of the story). I had just talked with Josh the previous Monday, while at the Christmas night at the preschool our children attended, and the conversation quickly turned to hunting. He had told me that he had been a couple times, and shot some pigs so far this year, but he was going to be taking the whole family to the deer lease this past weekend. He has 5 year old Triplets, and really wanted to make sure the outdoors were a part of their life, just as so many of us do. Well, as the story goes, He wasn't able to make that trip.

I was originally planning to get my son from School on Thursday, and head down to the lease with my dad that afternoon to be able to hunt Friday before the rain. With the memorial service set for Friday morning, obviously that plan wasnt going to work, and the weather didn't look good by any means. Decided after the service, that once my son got home we would go ahead and go and try to deal with the weather as best we could. I figured maybe Josh could have the big guy upstairs present me with the opportunity that I had been waiting for on a old 9pt with huge brows that I wanted to get as a Management Buck. Really wanted to get him with a bow, but was taking the rifle with me today as well in case i only had that oppurtunity(blind is a gun blind with gun/bow windows).

Made it to camp Friday evening, and we had a special guest with us in our families Elf on a Shelf, Buddy, showed up Friday afternoon with a special "travel jar" and a note saying he wanted Colton to show him how to hunt. So everywhere we went, Buddy came along with Colton showing him the ropes. He sat in a blind with my dad the first morning, and i set up at the location where the target buck was a regular, except for the last week.. Pretty sure he was there Friday morning, but there are a couple similar looking deer and didnt have great pics.

Chilly morning, and off and on rain to start so it was pretty slow until about 8AM when I had a mature deer walk right under the blind, but he wasn't what I looking for. Around 820, a big bodied 8pt came out behind the feed pen(130 yards away) and started feeding..When he came out, the other deer got out of his way. Starting to suspect this guy may be trying to own the feeder I started to tell myself "if he gives me a chance..". Well about 850 or so, some Doe emerged by the blind from another sendero, and into view of the deer by the feed pen. As soon as the 8pt saw them, he was heading that way. He came strutting in and ran a doe off, then chased off a younger buck on the other side of stand, before settling in to eat some corn placed right in bow range. He came into the perfect spot, and I couldn't pass up to oppurtunity. Shot him at 19 yards, and got a double lung/heart shot, and he trotted off about 60 yards before he piled up. The rage 2.3" Extreme left an awesome blood trail , with blood just pouring out of both sides.

As I got up to the deer, and before my Dad and son arrived to join in the celebration(and dragging his heavy rear through thick brush!!), couldn't help but think that this buck was for Josh, and that even though he didn't make it this weekend to his lease, he had a part in that Buck.

Was able to get it on video, and that is linked below.
    video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
    Attached Files

congrats!

Comment

Nice buck

Comment

Awesome. Congratulations on a great deer!

Comment

Good gosh that's a toad of a deer. Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Great deer and video.
              Congrats.

Rwc

Comment

Beautiful buck. A heavy horned 8 with great brows like that would be a trophy to me..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8mpTf-1FHE"]2017 8PT KILL - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Awesome

I must have misread the title where you called him a management buck. More like buck of a lifetime for me! Perfect shot.

Comment

great buck

Comment

That joker is huge! Looks like a midwest deer. Congratulations!

Comment

Great, story, buck, video and shot. Congratulations.

Comment

Nice buck, congrats!

Comment

Great story, great deer !!!!

Comment

Great story and deer. My heartfelt condolences to you for the loss of your friend. I hope you can stand in the gap for his kids.

Comment

Working...
                              X