Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 02-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo
Default Anyone ever made a foam kayak???

I hunt only public land, and water access has proven to be the easiest way to get away from the masses and into lower pressure pockets. But, capable kayaks/canoes are pretty dang expensive. Lots of the water access areas have steep banks and require a very stable craft. I have used (borrowed) a Nucanoe and a Hobie Pro and they seem to be the most stable 2 sit on tops on the market with a high enough weight capacity. Weight adds up quick when you have you, your gear, and a 120lb-190lb field dressed deer all on one craft. The Nucanoe is by far the most stable one I have ever tried out. You can stand on the top of the bow and bounce and not go over the edge.

I have seen several pictures/videos of guys building these foam kayaks. Most arenít the wide, stable, flat top design I would need. But, I could be easily just change the design some. They seem to use either fiberglass or paint-on-canvas for the outer layer. I guess that I could probably get one done for about half of what a Nucanoe ($1549 msrp)or Hobie ($3,000+) cost new. Heck, I even saw one where the guy made it compatible with the mirage drive.

My needs would be high weight capacity, flat deck (for gear/deer storage), and high stability, and lightweight. I think all of these categories could be achieved with a foam yak...

Has anyone tried one of these? If you have, let me know what you think the pros and cons are with these builds.

For reference....

https://youtu.be/YD0o8WiV9yk

https://youtu.be/Eh_C9OINoR8

https://youtu.be/XLf5EChDIFo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by IkemanTX; 02-22-2018 at 05:43 PM.
IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Tall Tex
Six Point

Hunt In: Weimar,TX

Texaskayakfisherman.com have plenty of used kayaks that may be better option. Bought some from there with everything included. Look at older wilderness ride as well. Just giving you different options
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
Wellborn Papa
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.

There are lots of kayaks around that meet your requirements at a very reasonable cost. Some less than $500.
Wellborn Papa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellborn Papa View Post
There are lots of kayaks around that meet your requirements at a very reasonable cost. Some less than $500.

There are several flat top, sit-on-top kayaks, but almost none in that price range range with the stability and 500lb+ weight capacity...

Even used, high capacity kayaks end up near, or above, $1000

Old 02-25-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

That is cool.
If nothing else be a fun project for the kids and to say , I built a foam yak

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
Archer4Life
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere i can

Check out jemwatercraft.com for plans and ideas. There are several guys who have built them over on the boat builder forum on TKF and I think a few of the members on here have built one as well. Iíve personally never done a foam one but have built several out of wood. TKF has tons of info on techniques and materials that you can read through and learn from. You will definitely save some money over buying one of the big name yaks but donít forget to account for the number of hours it will take to build one from scratch! Most of the builders will tell you they have hundreds of hours into many of their yaks.
Archer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer4Life View Post
Check out jemwatercraft.com for plans and ideas. There are several guys who have built them over on the boat builder forum on TKF and I think a few of the members on here have built one as well. Iíve personally never done a foam one but have built several out of wood. TKF has tons of info on techniques and materials that you can read through and learn from. You will definitely save some money over buying one of the big name yaks but donít forget to account for the number of hours it will take to build one from scratch! Most of the builders will tell you they have hundreds of hours into many of their yaks.

Oh ya, I am quite sure it will take a long time. Time is much cheaper than dollars though. I donít sleep well thanks to my work schedule, so Iím often up for 4-5 hours alone at night. Projects in the garage are a great thing. I hadnít heard of TKF, I will check it out. Thanks for the input!

Old 02-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

See if you can find a Cobra Fish and Dive. 600# rating. Brand new I believe there around a grand.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
14JKURX
Ten Point

You may want to look at the Jackson Kayak Kilroy very stable sit in kayak
14JKURX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14JKURX View Post
You may want to look at the Jackson Kayak Kilroy very stable sit in kayak
Those are right in the same price range as the kayaks I listed as out of the range I wanted to pay... it would be a great kayak for fishing, but the sit in style isnít very good for piling gear and dead deer on top of. Not near as much flat deck space, which is what I like most about the frontier 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
See if you can find a Cobra Fish and Dive. 600# rating. Brand new I believe there around a grand.
For only a few hundred dollar difference, the cobra isnít near as capable as the Nucanoe, nor as stable. Having sat, and stood, in one on the water, Iíd just as soon wait several extra months to go with the frontier 12.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:54 PM   #11
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Iím following this one as Iím in a similar boat. If Iím going to spend $1500 on a nice kayak for better access to public land I might as well just put the cash into a lease and skip the kayak altogether. I didnít know making my own was an option!
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #12
stick and strin
Six Point

check southern paddler ,jems watercraft, and tkf they all have excellent build threads
Ive built 15 yaks and my advice is to build out of wood, sure will be a lot tougher.
ron
stick and strin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #13
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Check out Vibe Sea Ghost 13. $899 and 550lb rating
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
josepht
Four Point

Hunt In: Atascosa county

a small jon boat might also be a good option for you
josepht is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #15
Smokeater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepht View Post
a small jon boat might also be a good option for you
yep, or a square back canoe
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #16
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick and strin View Post
check southern paddler ,jems watercraft, and tkf they all have excellent build threads
Ive built 15 yaks and my advice is to build out of wood, sure will be a lot tougher.
ron
I remember the days when we were all posting build threads one after another on TKF Looks like most of mine, even the ones on here, suffered from the photobucket policy change and now mine pics are not visible. Otherwise, I'd be sharing some links.
Had two successful foam builds and I'd say they were plenty strong. Never did a solid dugout style like that youtube though but I thought about trying that on several occasions.
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #17
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Anyone try an inflatable kayak? There are plenty in the $100-200 range that have good reviews. Seems to good to be true though.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2018, 12:07 AM   #18
TexMax
Pope & Young

You need a used Jon boat.

On a related note the last time Travis was real low we snagged a huge block of stray styrofoam and got after it wit the sawzall. Stuck some lawn chairs on it and cut out a spot for a cooler. We stashed it in the woods by a local pond. Someone chunked it but it was amusing. Cutting that thing up was a mess.
TexMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2018, 12:42 AM   #19
IkemanTX
Eight Point

A John boat quickly becomes heavy and cumbersome. I am looking for something light and maneuverable to make small water access a real viability. Key word there is small water..... I want to have only a few inches of draw depth, light enough to easily manhandle, and stable/ versatile enough for hunting.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #20
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

I would think you're better off keeping an eye out for a dang good deal on a yak that you're looking for. I missed a deal on a nu canoe pursuit 2 weeks ago for 800 and it was decked out for fishing. Selling all the accessories could of brought my cost under 600 at least.

There's deals to be had if you're patient. Winter time is usually when guys start offloading their yaks to get money for Christmas gifts.

I don't think you'll be able to build anything that will completely fit your needs without getting close to the cost of a used yak for a good deal.

I currently have a Diablo Amigo on order and it's more stable than the nu canoe frontier and is also a tad bit cheaper. Completely flat and wide open floor plan.

Other option would be to check out a fiberglass pirogue. I have one that I would sell cheap if you wanted a project. Probably just needs to be sanded and a coat or two of resin and good to go.
ultralite09 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #21
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...nal-Kayak.html

Look for one of these used. I have one and they are very stable.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #22
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

I kicked around this idea for several years. I finally just bit the bullet and bought a used nucanoe pursuit for $1k. Hurt to spend the money but now I have it to use whenever I want.
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top