Colorado Mule Deer Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Mule Deer Unit

I have been saving up preference points the last couple years for mule deer while I was elk hunting and I would like to put in for a unit this year. I have looked but can’t seem to find as much information on mule deer hunting I Colorado as I did for elk.we have been hunting unit 77 and 78 for elk the last three years but have not seen any mule deer that looked promising. I have 3 points this year and wanted to see if anyone on the green screen had some advice they wouldn’t mind sharing? We will most likely be applying for rifle season. Thanks in advance!

I’ll shoot you a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone else have some recommendations?

Comment

eastmans outdoor journal,

Comment

I'd love to help but all the research I've done has been early archery season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It has been a while, but we always saw some monsters in Unit 751 just south of Unit 76 east of the Los Pinos River. The Weminuche Wilderness in Snowslide Canyon, but it has been a long time since we were hunting there. Not sure how it is now.

Comment

3pts won’t get you a lot with a rifle. May could opt for ML and sneak into a good unit. Or draw an easy tag and put $ towards a private land hunt.
              Last edited by d_e_smith; 01-30-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Watching. I have 6 points but wasn’t even planning on starting to think about drawing till I get to 10 or so. Really wanting a rut hunt.

Comment

I burn mine as soon as I can draw a tag, usually takes two years.. I dig that early season archery in the clouds.. and there's some monsters in 78!

Comment

4th season rifle last year we came up on a BIG mule deer buck in unit 711. Didn't see any durn Elk though.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                      4th season rifle last year we came up on a BIG mule deer buck in unit 711. Didn't see any durn Elk though.
                      That is funny you say that because I was just looking at information on unit 711 for second season rifle. Looks like 100% drew last year with 2 points just not sure how well the hunting would be a little earlier than 4th season

Comment

Originally posted by aggie11 View Post
                        That is funny you say that because I was just looking at information on unit 711 for second season rifle. Looks like 100% drew last year with 2 points just not sure how well the hunting would be a little earlier than 4th season
                        Well Mule Deer probably don't go too far like the Elk would. If you end up drawing that PM me and I'll give you GPS coordinates to the spot we jumped this guy. It's not easy to get to, gotta be a freaking mountain goat and crawl through a drainage canyon and hike about 1.75 miles, or go the long way which would be about 6 miles or so. Actually now that I think about it there's a road that gets pretty close but it was closed in 4th season, wonder if it's open in 2nd. Either way I've got GPS on him. I also marked a couple other spots with TONS of muley sign. I don't plan on hunting mule deer out there so don't mind sharing the info. I probably won't hunt Elk there again either for that matter, wasn't anything there with the late winter.

Comment

Well Mule Deer probably don't go too far like the Elk would. If you end up drawing that PM me and I'll give you GPS coordinates to the spot we jumped this guy. It's not easy to get to, gotta be a freaking mountain goat and crawl through a drainage canyon and hike about 1.75 miles, or go the long way which would be about 6 miles or so. Actually now that I think about it there's a road that gets pretty close but it was closed in 4th season, wonder if it's open in 2nd. Either way I've got GPS on him. I also marked a couple other spots with TONS of muley sign. I don't plan on hunting mule deer out there so don't mind sharing the info. I probably won't hunt Elk there again either for that matter, wasn't anything there with the late winter.
                          Man I really appreciate it! I think we are going to put in for the unit so if we draw I will definitely get with you for some info. We Usually hike 4+ miles from camp each day while elk hunting to get away from crowds so it sounds like a spot we would like to try. Did y’all base camp or spike camp?

Comment

Can you find vantage points and glass easily in 711? Where we have been in 77 the tomber is too thick to really glass so you are lucky to see a couple hundred yards in most places.

Comment

Man I really appreciate it! I think we are going to put in for the unit so if we draw I will definitely get with you for some info. We Usually hike 4+ miles from camp each day while elk hunting to get away from crowds so it sounds like a spot we would like to try. Did y’all base camp or spike camp?
                              Can you find vantage points and glass easily in 711? Where we have been in 77 the tomber is too thick to really glass so you are lucky to see a couple hundred yards in most places.
                              There's a good variety of terrain in 711, honestly we didn't even cover it all. You have options for big timber as well as high points like Glade Mountain where you can see miles and miles. We base camped and if I were to do it again I'd base camp up higher, we covered everything around camp and then had to move up looking for Elk so ended up driving the last few days.

I don't know what I'm gonna do this year, part of me wants to go back to the same unit since I know it pretty well now but part of me doesn't want to risk it. If the migration is late again just doesn't seem worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X