Just made some Cowboy coffee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just made some Cowboy coffee.

Gotta say I haven't had coffee like that in a long time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Kinda like Brylcreme. A little dab will do ya

Comment

HMMM. So by "cowboy" coffee you are suggesting you dumped a few scoops into a pot and boiled it over a fire?
      Raised up about as country as anyone could be today, and we NEVER made coffee that way. My brother still makes his living ranching. He also NEVER makes coffee that way. Not griping, just don't fully understand the name. Maybe campfire coffee? Although we usually do not dump the grounds in that either...

SO- How was the cup of sludgy Joe?

Comment

Redneck French press ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
          HMMM. So by "cowboy" coffee you are suggesting you dumped a few scoops into a pot and boiled it over a fire?
          Raised up about as country as anyone could be today, and we NEVER made coffee that way. My brother still makes his living ranching. He also NEVER makes coffee that way. Not griping, just don't fully understand the name. Maybe campfire coffee? Although we usually do not dump the grounds in that either...

A lot better more flavor than the Mr coffee or than new fangled Keurig.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a guy in the army with me that would put instant coffee in his mouth like a pinch of snuff.

Comment

Boil the water, pull it off the fire and dump the grounds in. Let it seep for about ten minutes then sprinkle some cold water in it to settle the grounds.
              No sludge and very few grounds in the bottom of the cup.

Made my coffee that way for 10 years before I bought my first coffee maker.

Got a lot of complements on how good it was.

Comment

A lot better more flavor than the Mr coffee or than new fangled Keurig. Grew up on a ranch and wagon cook always had two big pots on the wood stove. Better flavor than any other way to fix coffee. Just needs to be set to side of fire to stay warm and let grounds fall out before drinking. Little splash of cold water makes grounds fall out.

Comment

Perhaps cowboy coffee has been around much longer than you or your brother have been around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

SKLOSS, I understand that. But in my understanding, Cowboys weren't the only one who made coffee by the campfire. A sprinkle of cold water does settle the grounds, I was once told by an old man that using egg shells also settles the grounds. Like above stated. Heat the water, remove from fire, and then add grounds.
                    -It's not that I haven't had coffee this way, just not a preferred taste. I like my coffee black, but have always had issues with the chunks.

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
                      Perhaps cowboy coffee has been around much longer than you or your brother have been around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Exactly. It goes back to before percolating. Men on the trail carried only a pot not a basket or strainer. Mountain men probably did it the same way.

Comment

For us old country folks it's just plain ole boiled coffee

Comment

Cowboy coffee was made over campfires, not in a kitchen. They didn't carry coffee makers out on the range; just a campfire and coffee pot. Surely you and your brother are making it in the kitchen with modern equipment.

Comment

Burnadell, Yes and no. My original point was it could be more or less called campfire coffee or ?? Lots of cowboys do and have drank coffee, but others made it that way long before cattle drives.

Comment

I have and wear a cowboy hat. I live in the city and don’t have a clue about cowboys. Should I not call it a cowboy hat?

Comment

Working...
                              X