Anybody Ever...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody Ever...

Dry fire their bow? So, this umm...friend...was shooting his bow and apparently didn't have his arrow nocked good. At the shot the bow made a horrible sound and the arrow just fell off the front of the bow. No visible signs of damage. Think it's still safe to shoot?

No way to say for certain. It could shoot fine for a while before a lamination slipped or let go. Even 'working up to full draw' could be deceptive. The only way to tell will be to shoot it.

It may give warning, it may not. Be sure to wear eye protection whenever shooting the bow in the future.

What type of bow? Material? Age? Just a curiosity. Does not really change the risk. Just be careful and know it could fail unexpectedly. If you can afford it and not want to worry about it, retire it. However, whenever I buy a used bow, I approach it as if there is an unseen flaw, until I build some trust in it. One never knows what a bows history is. Very few fail catastrophically, though.

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
      Last edited by BURTONboy; 01-05-2017, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Good luck. Wear a leather jacket and full face motorcycle helmet while shooting.

Comment

This is a newer model samick Sage recurve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey, at least is wasnt the new Widow!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
              Exactly!!!!

This is the only reason I keep wondering if I should put those limbsavers on my bow.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

A quality bow should be fine with a dry fire or two. I watched a guy dry fire a sage about 20 times and no problems. Any bow lay lets loose with just one dry fire would have failed anyway in my opinion.

Comment

My thoughts

Comment

That's for sure!! I woulda been sick!! I did shoot it another 8-10 times and it seems ok. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Umm... yea I done that before while testing a bow I was building . I used an old tillering string and my nocks fit loose. Won't do that again.

Comment

Ouch!!

Comment

No damage to the bow though and I took my first Trad whitetail with it that same fall

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
                            A quality bow should be fine with a dry fire or two. I watched a guy dry fire a sage about 20 times and no problems. Any bow lay lets loose with just one dry fire would have failed anyway in my opinion.

After researching it a bit this seems to be the general opinion. There's a long thread on Tradgang about it and apparently stickbows handle dry fires a lot better than compounds do. Tomorrow I'll unstring it and take the limbs off and rub a cotton ball all over to make sure there's no splinters or cracks. Worst case scenario I'm out $150 for a bow. Like everybody else said I'm just glad it was this one and not my new bow!!

Comment

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X