Timer/motor feeder salvage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timer/motor feeder salvage

To be clear...I'm sure these could be don't better/nicer. I did this quick and cheap. I'm sure there are a few of you with one of these laying on your garage floor. Hope this helps a few of you.

A neighbor gave me a couple of the cheap American Hunter feeder units...the kind with the electrified varmint guards. To be fair, I don't know how old they are, but its clear the "spiral type" guards don't hold up. Well, I wanted to make a couple cheap 5 gallon bucket type feeders to put over some hog traps.

So after a few half baked ideas I came up with this...using a metal coffee can, I will cut it to make it short enough to use as the attaching bracket and a bit of a varmint guard. (not very concerned with it being varmint proof). Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348105095.701795.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	24922368
    Used an pneumatic nibbler to cut the can but a jig saw or saws-all should do it just fine.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348104544.819595.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	24922362
    Bent the tabs back.
    Will use these to mount it to the bottom of bucket.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348105549.476805.jpg
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	24922369

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348105752.655357.jpg
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	24922370 Used the plasma cutter to cut the "windows"...again, could be done with a jigsaw & drill

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348105815.991320.jpg
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	24922371 Cut the funnel out of the old plastic...drilled and mounted under bucket.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348105874.424347.jpg
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	24922372Ground down the plastic ring to make sure funnel would go on flush.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348106052.013182.jpg
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	24922373
    The can isn't a perfect fit for the plastic cover...so after it was on I ran some duck tape around it to seal it from the elements (batteries installed and timer set)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348106353.759587.jpg
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	24922374
    All painted purdy and hung over the trap.

Here's how I solved my hog trap feeder issue--cut off about 1/3 of a small barrel--

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
      To be clear...I'm sure these could be don't better/nicer. I did this quick and cheap. I'm sure there are a few of you with one of these laying on your garage floor. Hope this helps a few of you.

A neighbor gave me a couple of the cheap American Hunter feeder units...the kind with the electrified varmint guards. To be fair, I don't know how old they are, but its clear the "spiral type" guards don't hold up. Well, I wanted to make a couple cheap 5 gallon bucket type feeders to put over some hog traps.

So after a few half baked ideas I came up with this...using a metal coffee can, I will cut it to make it short enough to use as the attaching bracket and a bit of a varmint guard. (not very concerned with it being varmint proof). [ATTACH]393881[/ATTACH]
      Used an pneumatic nibbler to cut the can but a jig saw or saws-all should do it just fine.
      [ATTACH]393872[/ATTACH]
      Bent the tabs back.
      Will use these to mount it to the bottom of bucket.
      [ATTACH]393882[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH]393884[/ATTACH] Used the plasma cutter to cut the "windows"...again, could be done with a jigsaw & drill
      [ATTACH]393885[/ATTACH] Cut the funnel out of the old plastic...drilled and mounted under bucket.
      [ATTACH]393886[/ATTACH]Ground down the plastic ring to make sure funnel would go on flush.
      [ATTACH]393889[/ATTACH]
      The can isn't a perfect fit for the plastic cover...so after it was on I ran some duck tape around it to seal it from the elements (batteries installed and timer set)
      [ATTACH]393890[/ATTACH]
      All painted purdy and hung over the trap.
      Great ingenuity!!

Comment

thatll do!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
          Here's how I solved my hog trap feeder issue--cut off about 1/3 of a small barrel--
          That's brilliant! Thank you...I may be implementing one or two of those now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtechlady View Post
            Great ingenuity!!
            Thank you...but like I stated, that was like the third time to the drawing board ). I'm not the smartest cat out there, but I do learn pretty fast. Hahhaha

Comment

Don't sell yourself short, looks like you don pretty darned good!

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

ON the feeder on top of the section of barrel on the hog trap--be sure and put a piece of 1" mesh wire under the barrel to keep the free-loading critters out but let the corn fall on through.

Comment

Working...
                  X