Optics Advice... Which ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optics Advice... Which ones?

Im torn between 2 pairs of binoculars and I need some advice.

Used (in perfect condition) Leupold Olympic Green Ring 10x50

OR

NIB Vortex Diamondback 10x50

They are the same price, but I cant personally touch and compare the 2 together.

I know the Leupold are almost a half pound lighter than the Vortex and that is important to me. How old is the Olympic line? Are the Olympic and DiamondBack in the same class?

Any advice from some savvy optics guys would be AWESOME! Thanks!!!
    Last edited by ballsie; 10-01-2012, 10:33 AM.

I have a pair of Leupold mojave's that are very, very good. Im sure that the optics quality compared to the other leupolds is about the same. I know I am very pleased with the performance of mine.

Comment

I've been a Leopold optics guy forever but Vortex is my new glass. After holding and looking through several pairs this past weekend I'm 100% sold on Vortex's, even over the super high end glass...

Comment

Leupold Olympic - made in China

Vortex Diamondback - made in Phillipines

Neither origin makes me hop up and down. You need to go look through them, and decide which ones you like better. Take them outside and look through them, not just in the store.

The Leupold Mojave's mentioned above are made in Japan. They are good glass, I have a pair in 8x42, and they're very nice.

Comment

They dont make the Olympics anymore and the seller is halfway across the country, so there is no way to check them out in person.

The 6 oz weight difference is what has me jammed up. Im sure my untrained eye couldnt tell the difference, but the used pair is lighter than the new pair.

new Vortex = 31 oz
          used Leupold - 25 ox

Comment

I went with the Vortex. Everyone raves about them and TBHer Arrowsmith gave me a helluva deal!

Comment

Be sure and give us pictures and an update when you getem. Vortex is supposed to be pretty good. I'm shopping a new pair of 10X42's. I wear glasses so I need twist down eyepeices with xlong eye relief. My Nikon ATB, 8X42's are great but I need a bit more power to study antlers with.

Comment

I actually sent arrowsmith a check today for some vortex. I couldnt pass up all the good things ive heard about the diamondback 10x42

Comment

Originally posted by ballsie View Post

Used (in perfect condition) Leupold Olympic Green Ring 10x50
                  I have these and love them!! Can't speak for the other ones though.

Comment

Glad you went with the Vortex, I'm on my 3rd pair of Leupold Olympic (Green Ring) and the first two one of the tubes would slip off the threads and couldn't focus. Luckily Academy was great the first two times and took them back and replaced them. The Leupolds are nice, but the threads on them are cheap...

Comment

Originally posted by Tek View Post
                      Glad you went with the Vortex, I'm on my 3rd pair of Leupold Olympic (Green Ring) and the first two one of the tubes would slip off the threads and couldn't focus. Luckily Academy was great the first two times and took them back and replaced them. The Leupolds are nice, but the threads on them are cheap...
                      I only needed to hear 1 bad thing about them! whew. I was uneasy about the decision I made. I only went with the Vortex because they were new!

Thanks!!!

Comment

My new diamondback 10x42 just arrived!! All i can say is, for the money spent, clarity is amazing. I will be a repeat customer. Thanks Arrowsmith

Comment

Working...
                        X