No announcement yet.

When is the RUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bucks have been chasing does since start of archery season in Colorado county.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      The RUT is a long period of time during which bucks have hardened horns and are ready to breed. The peak is when most of the does are receptive. Most of the does in Houston co where im at bred the third week in Oct. There will be another super rut mid November and approximately 28 days after the primary when the does that didn't take the first time come in heat again. All the bucks will be competing for a small portion of the does.
      x2 EXACTLY! So the major part of the 1st rut is over

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
        Man I hunted hard that part of the month in Houston Co. and saw nothing like that. Bucks were still in bachelor groups and were barely interested in the does, if at all.
        Same here in northern houston county...

Comment

Originally posted by txjustin View Post
          Long gone. The SE gulf coast counties have a very early rut.
          X2

Peak rut for SE Tx coastal counties is early to mid October. I know in Brazoria and Ft Bend counties, bucks will be chasing does sometimes before bow season even starts.

Just my opinion, but it does seem like sometimes there is a secondary rut in this area in the mid December time frame. It's not nearly as active as the October rut though.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
            Man I hunted hard that part of the month in Houston Co. and saw nothing like that. Bucks were still in bachelor groups and were barely interested in the does, if at all.
            DIT-TO dude. I dunno WTH is going on.

Comment

It is going on right now in Cherokee County.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                Same here in northern houston county...
                "DIT-TO dude. I dunno WTH is going on." -Bowz&Towz

Guess all of our bucks are gay?

However, I hunted hard, lots of people here hunted hard (watched their live hunts and discussions) and my BIL who is a hardcore bowhunter/forester (spends more time in those woods than any of us combined for work and pleasure) in HouCo also hunted hard and none of us have seen signs of any rut 3rd week in October. Maybe a little "pre-rut" where 1 or 2 does were knocked up but nothing in the world compared to what has been ramping up in the last few weeks.

I'd take actual observations versus "historical figures" or "statistics" any day of the week.

I know buck sightings are down when they are on lockdown but I'd have to completely, 100% disagree with you regarding the rut on the 3rd weekend of October for the last two years despite "fetus samples."

But then again... Going back through my TC pics... You might be right??
                Attached Files
                Last edited by HoustonHunter; 11-06-2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X