Question about braided line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about braided line

I'm pretty new to braided lines, and I have a question about them. You know how with monofilament, the actual breaking strength is usually more than the rated strength (except for IFGA test lines, of course). So that "20 pound" Trilene will actually break at like 25 pounds or so, maybe even more.

My question is: is this also true with braided lines?

Pretty much. Unless it's an IGFA rated line

Comment

Idk, but braided line is strong! No stretch when you set the hook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Braided spectra line usually breaks well above the line rating. Dacron will break at the rated strength. I don't think they make IGFA spectra.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not interested in IFGA rated lines, I just wanted to know if braided lines broke at above their "labeled" strength like mono does. I'm looking at Sufix 832, for example, putting 20 lb. on my spinning reel to cast around the beach and jetties.

Comment

I don't know, nor have I seen, any real numbers, But when you have a heavy hook and get it caught on the jetty you wish it would break at a lower weight. More than once I have cut lines that had I been throwing mono I could have broken off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
              I don't know, nor have I seen, any real numbers, But when you have a heavy hook and get it caught on the jetty you wish it would break at a lower weight. More than once I have cut lines that had I been throwing mono I could have broken off.
              Well, I'll have a mono leader.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                Yeah, I'm not interested in IFGA rated lines, I just wanted to know if braided lines broke at above their "labeled" strength like mono does. I'm looking at Sufix 832, for example, putting 20 lb. on my spinning reel to cast around the beach and jetties.
                Yes.

Comment

Something to think about. Mono can get a little nick and it will reduce the strength by over half. A nick in braided line and it is only weakened by the number of strands cut.

Comment

Just my observation is more. I've straightened more hooks with braided than I've broken off

Comment

Well, I'll have a mono leader.....

Use a 2'-3' fluorocarbon leader, and 30# braid.

I just used the suffix braid for the first time, and I don't think it's for me. Could be the one I have, but it seems stiff compared to Fins Windtamer.

Comment

Here's everything you want to know. Also, 99% of all braided lines are made by Honeywell, to different specs for different sellers. Doesn't matter if it's suffix or Jerry Brown, they all just put their name on and resale it.

Last edited by MadHatter; 04-24-2017, 05:57 AM.

Comment

That's the setup I have used for years on my spin tackle. 20# Sufix 832 with 3-4 feet of 20# Seaguar Flouro leader. Never had a problem. Landed plenty of 80-100 tarpon on 20# braid. Make sure it is spooled tight. I don't fish the jetties where abrasion would be a big problem though. I always used 50# braid to get the big reds off the jetties in Louisiana.

Comment

How do you guys attach the braid to the mono line?

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                              How do you guys attach the braid to the mono line?
                              Double uni knot

Comment

Working...
                              X