Fishing in Destin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing in Destin

I’m headed on a family vacation starting tomorrow morning and we were originally going to book with a guide, but I changed my mind. I used it as an excuse to buy a new rod to travel with and of course a new reel to go with it haha. My question is has anyone had luck wading the surf there or do you know of a spot to try in or around Destin? When I was done last year, I waded the surf and was able to get on a few dink trout, but that was about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over in Navarre the kayaks are catching King Mackerel and occasionally, sailfish.

Comment

In may we waded bay side off of okaloosa island. We fished with gulp shrimp on a jig head. Caught a ton of lady fish and blue runners. Fun to catch but not to eat. We caught a few Spanish mackerel and a pompano. No trout or reds. So I’m not much help if you’re only targeting those species.

And do yourself a favor and rent a pontoon for a day, that was a blast. We took it back with fish blood all in it... lol good luck! Report back if you don’t mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've haven't caught anything in the surf besides ladyfish. Maybe a Spanish mackerel if you get lucky. Surprised you were able to catch trout, had trouble catching them in the bay. Their surf is fairly lifeless compared to Texas. If you got a kayak take it, you can get on some pretty good fish not far off the beach front.

Comment

Last year I fished with Nick at Navarre kayak. He took my wife and I on an inshore trip using Predator pedal yaks. Great yaks and Nick was a great guide.

He will also just rent you the kayaks. They drop them off to you and pick them up.

I fished the surf in front of my condo and caught 1 pompano and a dozen lady fish.

Comment

I wade fished in Gulf Shores two weeks ago. Caught a couple
            of Spanish Mackerals. Lots of casts. Try a floating minnow bait.

Comment

There is a five minute fishing report at this link.

A rise in disturbances of sea turtle nests in Destin is leaving local turtle conservationists frustrated. Destin beaches are known for their sea turtle nests. Volunteers from local turtle conservat…

Comment

I didn’t see many fisherman last week in the area from Henderson State Park to Miramar...

Comment

Thanks fellas! About to take off now.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    I've haven't caught anything in the surf besides ladyfish. Maybe a Spanish mackerel if you get lucky. Surprised you were able to catch trout, had trouble catching them in the bay. Their surf is fairly lifeless compared to Texas. If you got a kayak take it, you can get on some pretty good fish not far off the beach front.

They fell for a topwater right at sunup. Didn’t know it was a rarity in the Florida surf. Looking into renting yaks.

Comment

Cheater, you should be driving so can enjoy Louisiana. Good luck!

Comment

i catch reds and trout every year in gulf shores in the surf. last year i went during a full moon and couldnt get out as far as i like too. we planned for a waning this year so hopefully the tide will be lower. the key where we stay is getting to that second sand bar. rattle traps and mirror lures early in the morning and late in the evening. the kids catch all kinds of stuff i dont have a name for in the bay on shrimp.

Comment

We have done really well on the Destin Jetties. We usually catch HUGE redfish. I'm not real familiar with saltwater fish names, but I think one fish we were catching was mackerel. We also caught a bunch of other fun fish including tons of lady fish. There are barracuda around. I have seen several big sharks caught there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                            Cheater, you should be driving so can enjoy Louisiana. Good luck!

Haha! I did that trip to Disney last summer...with the inlaws... and I was voulen-told to drive... I EARNED this flight [emoji23]

Comment

Man I don't blame you. If you can drive about an hour east to Mexico beach there is some pretty good wading areas there that is good for trout and reds.

Comment

Working...
                              X