Wwi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wwi

Been learning more about WWI as of late.

My word, all warfare is brutal but what those guys went through was absolute horrid.

The letters written home before the whistle for their turn to exit the trenches will make you want to kiss your loved ones. Heartbreaking!

It was really the first time humanity had mass killing machines in abundance and a good portion of the world was firing them at each other at a staggering rate of millions of rounds per day (at various battles).

God bless those men that gave up their lives for country. Certainly better than I.

Anyone have from stories from great grandparents? Would be interesting to hear, especially at what battle etc.

Curious myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

One of my family members died in WW1. All I know is it was Mustard Gas that killed him. My great grandma always had a picture of him in his uniform and that's really the only reason I know about him.

I say picture but it was more like a painting almost. It was on this weird cardboard type thing.

Comment

Wwi

No family stories handed down, though I did have a couple of grandfathers that served.

If you’re interested in more of the history and stories, listen to Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcast, and find the series listed as Blueprint for Armageddon. It’s several episodes long, and 20+ hours

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

It was a classic example of “training for the last war” with the addition of massive advances in technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
            No family stories handed down, though I did have a couple of grandfathers that served.

If you’re interested in more of the history and stories, listen to Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcast, and find the series listed as Blueprint for Armageddon. It’s several episodes long, and 20+ hours

Henry David Thoreau
            Dan Carlin is what started me in learning about it. Almost done with Blueprint for Armageddon. Been a great listen!

Comment

Horrific war. The top 5 battles of WWI each had 1,000,000+ casualties - #10 on the list had almost 200,000. My wife and I each had a grandfather that served. My mother’s father got out of medical school in 1917 and his entire graduating class went over as medics. My wife’s grandfather was a forward observer in the Air Corps taking pictures over enemy lines from a biplane. We have some of those pics taken over the trenches. The carnage in that war is hard to fathom

Comment

My grandfather got shot in WWI. He passed when my dad was young so I never got to meet him. My great Aunt had a purple heart certificate hanging in her house when I was young.

Comment

My mother's father served in the navy. He was a gunner. His ship was hit. Threw him against a pipe and knocked out all his front teeth. My godmother was a nurse on a hospital ship that the Germans sunk. I had a history prof that was well versed with some stats on various battles of trench warfare.

Comment

My StepGrandPa was WWII infantry Big Red One. Got him to share some stories with this Marine before he passed. Ive been thinking of starting a “Great Wars stories” thread... before the learned knowledge expires.

Id love to share something from the first great war but have nothing. Im in for those who do.

Thanks for bringing this up TXHUNT3R.

Comment

Another vote for Dan Carlin’s hardcore history
                      Blueprint for Armageddon is the best thing I’ve listened to

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                        Dan Carlin is what started me in learning about it. Almost done with Blueprint for Armageddon. Been a great listen!

Be sure to catch the bonus episodes.

He has an “Addendum” episode that aired recently with a fella from the British Museum that is a WWI researcher. Also an excellent listen.

If you enjoyed this series, you’ll love Kings of Kings, it’s about the rise and fall of the Persian Empire. Then Erath of the Khans is amazing as well.

I also listen to Danielle Bolelli. His stuff is also incredible.

I’m debating on diving into the History of Rome podcast with Mike Duncan. That is a lot of episodes on a single subject.

I spend a lot of time in the truck, and listening to podcasts is much more entertaining to me than local radio.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                          Be sure to catch the bonus episodes.

He has an “Addendum” episode that aired recently with a fella from the British Museum that is a WWI researcher. Also an excellent listen.

If you enjoyed this series, you’ll love Kings of Kings, it’s about the rise and fall of the Persian Empire. Then Erath of the Khans is amazing as well.

I also listen to Danielle Bolelli. His stuff is also incredible.

I’m debating on diving into the History of Rome podcast with Mike Duncan. That is a lot of episodes on a single subject.

I spend a lot of time in the truck, and listening to podcasts is much more entertaining to me than local radio.

Henry David Thoreau
                          King of Kings was great!! Loved the parts about the movie "300"

Have you listened the one about public executions?! Forget the name. Will check out the other person you mentioned, thanks!!

Comment

Both of my grandfathers fought in the great war. My mother's father never mentioned it. My father's father told me that he was in a group that captured a German machinegun nest. I got a book he had and in it is a picture of the machine gun that he helped to capture. He was also mustard gassed, and spent several months in a French Hospital recovering. We have his walking cane from that hospital that reads something like: "Red Cross 1917" and has his initials carved in the end of it.

Comment

I don't have any stories.

I do know that my Paternal Grandparents come from Kiev and Cussow(sp?) Germany.
                              Grandpa was born in 1904 Grandma 1908 or 1911.
                              They came to America in 1934 and 1938.
                              They came through Ellis Island.

That means Grandpa was a teenager during WWI.

He died in 1982 I think.
                              So he lived through
                              WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.
                              They immigrated during our Great Depression.

Comment

Working...
                              X