My Harley was repossessed by mistake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Harley was repossessed by mistake!

My Harley was repossessed by mistake! First let me say it is paid up 10 months ahead of time. After multiple phone calls to the Local Police Department, the recovery agent, and Harley Davidson finance, my bike was brought back. Here is where it gets fun. For some reason they told me without my asking, that it had not been strapped down over the seat. She told me it was only strapped to the frame. When the wrecker driver showed up, it was on a typical wrecker that had an extension they said is used for motorcycles. When it showed up with two heavy duty 2” ratchet straps over the seat and one through the frame, I knew it wasn’t going to be pretty. The damage is mainly cosmetic but there is a lot of it. I have been told that my front forks and rear air bag & compressor system need replacement too. The total in parts and labor alone are over $5000.

I’ve tried contacting the recovery agent numerous times and each time have been told she’ll give the owner my message. Needless to say, I haven’t received a call back from them. I assume they’re hoping I simply go away.

A lawyer told me to take this to the local JP Court since the return from a judgement wouldn’t justify his fees.

If anyone here has had a case in small claims court, do you know how long “a reasonable deadline for a person to respond to my claim” should be? I want to get a letter out by certified mail ASAP. I don’t know the owner or drivers names. Just the company. The driver refused to give me any paperwork, and the Local PD “event report” doesn’t list them either. Even the vehicle ID, license,and state are redacted (blacked out).
    Attached Files

I'd be letting my insurance company fight with the towing company.
    and I'd be ****** at the bank.

Comment

What does HDFinance say about it? I think I would bark up that tree. They hired the repo man, even if by mistake.

Comment

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............

Comment

Send it to your insurance company and let them sort it out.

Side note, Ive never seen a motorcycle transported like that. They make straps specifically for the handle bars. That being said, I can't see any damage. Was it all cosmetic?

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
            What does HDFinance say about it? I think I would bark up that tree. They hired the repo man, even if by mistake.
            Yep. What does the lender say they will do about it?

How did they mistakenly repo your bike?

Comment

Make Harley Davidson Finance pay for it....they started this mess!!!
              Repo was only doing what they were asked to do...that is their job.
              Get your Lawyer to contact HDF.

Comment

Sue HD if you have to. They stole your motorcycle and damaged it. Doesnt matter if it was by mistake or not. If HD told the repo company to take it, it is their fault. If the repo company took your motorcycle when they weren't supposed to (mistaken id) then they are in big trouble.
                Last edited by txhunter007; 05-04-2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I'd start with Eaglemark (or whomever you financed through). I'd go all the way up the chain to the head honcho about it. Then, I'd be at the repo office in person talking to the head honcho there. And, while there, I'd have them on the phone with the finance company until someone agreed to not only repair the bike, but agree to compensate you for the time and supply a rental while your bike is in the shop. Once that was agreed, in writing, I'd be asking for someone's job. No excuse to screw up that bad.

Comment

A typical demand letter would be 10 days but like others have said let your insurance company go after the towing companies insurance. They will subrogate the claim and get better results than you trying to fight them on your own. And they should do this without affecting your future rates because you are not at fault.

Comment

Did you finance through Dallas Dodge? Did they steal your bike?

Comment

Whoever hired the repo company is on the hook. You prolly have to lawyer up.

Comment

Daaannnnggg! I would be bent!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            Send it to your insurance company and let them sort it out.

Side note, Ive never seen a motorcycle transported like that. They make straps specifically for the handle bars. That being said, I can't see any damage. Was it all cosmetic?
                            Compressed the forks over 6” when designed for 2” of travel, and my air ride isn’t holding pressure. Most other damage is scratches and scrapes. You know the expensive stuff. It’s up over $5K now.

Comment

I would be 99 kinds of ****** off! Go after Harley finance and make them pay for it all.

Comment

Working...
                              X