Looking at diesel 3/4 ton- Ford vs Ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
    I'm comparing my dads truck to my brothers. Neither are deleted and tuned.

What about fuel mileage. You said yours loaded = dads unloaded. What rearend is in each and what mileage are y'all getting.

Not trying to argue. Dodge definitely gets better fuel mileage. Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My dad averages 8 mpg pulling his trailer today. My brother averaged 14.5 today. Pulling the same trailer and same equipment on the same roads.

Two identical setups like this.

I believe my dads they've both for the 4.10 or 3.73 rear ends.

I get the 16.5 pulling this setup. Mine has the 3.42
      Last edited by SB09; 06-15-2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Dodge? Ugh, no.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
          I actually drove a rental 2016 Dodge 2500 turbo diesel from Houston to North Dakota last weekend pulling a loaded down trailer. All I can say is FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!! This will be my next vehicle. Acted like there was nothing behind us and had some nice GET UP AND GO when needed for passing. Comfy ride even though it's a lower end model. And, of course the Cummins is going to last forever.
          Just my two cents...

Oh, and, I always thought Dodges looked better than the others although I've been a Chevy guy for the last two trucks.

Where were you able to rent a diesel pickup?

Comment

Here was my observations. I rented all 3 and towed the same trailer with all 3. All three were basic trim levels.

Chevy: most uncomfortable seats of the bunch. Least amount of creature comfort features. Towed decently, transmission is fantastic as is the engine brake. Ride was marginally better than the others. Fuel mileage was between the Ram and Ford. Tow mirrors with the reverse facing LED lights is genius. I don't know what the hell Chevy was thinking putting the DEF tank fill under the hood or that it was a good idea to have it hang down beside the frame.

Ford: Quickest truck of the bunch. Nice interior, ride was ok, didn't feel as solid as the Chevy or Ram. Exhaust brake was just meh, transmission was fine. Sync system is nice once you get over the learning curve. Worst fuel mileage of the bunch. Power extendable tow mirrors was nice.

Ram: the Ram didn't excel at many things, but it was by far the nicest interior and had the most creature comforts. Unconnect system worked flawlessly and was easy to use. Adjustable engine brake, the Cummins just pulled like a freight train. Transmission (68RFE) was the quirkiest of the bunch. I didn't like the shift pattern. That can be corrected easily with transmission tuning. The cargo camera is a great feature than nine of the others offer yet. I could hook up a 5th wheel or gooseneck by myself with the camera. To me the Ram just seemed to be the best all around tow rig. It ride the smoothest and tracked the best with a load connected. Best fuel mileage towing and unloaded. On a 700 mile round trip 1/2 loaded and 1/2 empty I averaged 20.1 mpg.

I ended up buying a 2012 DEF free Ram and I'm happy with everything except the 15mpg average. But after the warranty is up it will be deleted and I should pick up 3-5 mpg and nice power along with transmission tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post

Yes Enterprise rents Dodge and Ford. Capps rents Chevys.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post

My company organized it all, but it was just through Enterprise Trucks. They had F-250's also but the Dodge was much nicer and I needed the seats to fold up in the crew cab in a way that I could haul my dogs back there. (120 lb and 65 lb). Yes, all the way to ND. They seemed comfy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                  My company organized it all, but it was just through Enterprise Trucks. They had F-250's also but the Dodge was much nicer and I needed the seats to fold up in the crew cab in a way that I could haul my dogs back there. (120 lb and 65 lb). Yes, all the way to ND. They seemed comfy enough.

That's another perk of the Ram I forgot to mention. The seats fold up and a flap fold out to make the entire floor board a solid surface. Awesome to stack bags or put the dogs back there. My lab can stretch out and lay down with another dog back there and she isn't on the seats. Ford used to do this. They opted for the locking under seat storage. Which is nice. But, I've got a toolbox that locks for storage.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                    My dad averages 8 mpg pulling his trailer today. My brother averaged 14.5 today. Pulling the same trailer and same equipment on the same roads.

Two identical setups like this.

I believe my dads they've both for the 4.10 or 3.73 rear ends.

I get the 16.5 pulling this setup. Mine has the 3.42
                    14.5 mpg with that trailer, tractor/implement?

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      14.5 mpg with that trailer, tractor/implement?

Correct. He averages 18-20 unloaded. Keep in mind this is running county roads. Max speed limit is 55 on the trip. Faster you drive, the more mileage drops.

Comment

You are going to get answers all over the place. Trucks have to have the most brand loyal folks over any other product on the market.
                        IMO you can't go wrong with any of the big 3.
                        I think the Ram has the best engine as far as durability, but the Powerstroke or duramax will run off and leave it power wise. The Ford and the Chevy also have superior transmissions.
                        I did tons of research before buying my new truck and the Ford edged out the others, but I doubt my requirements are the same as yours.
                        Go drive them all and see which one you prefer.
                        Good luck on whatever you choose!

Comment

Bull. Butter

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
                            Bull. Butter

Bull butter what?

"An honest government has no fear of an armed population".

Comment

Working...
                            X