Questions/ recommendations to buy camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions/ recommendations to buy camera

My supervisor gave us the go-ahead to purchase a nice digital SLR camera for around $600 for the lab. I know what I want I may not be able to get for the price, but I may be able to swing accessories as a separate purchase.

What I would like is a camera that has the fold out screen and has good macro abilities but I can also add UV filters when needed. Many of our photos are close-ups and many times we have to photograph shiny metal objects like guns and knives.

What can you all recommend?

Ok, a lot of people looking, but no response. Is there a different type of digital camera I can add filters to? Perhaps something I haven't considered? Or is the price ceiling too low?

Comment

My little brother just bought a D5000 and I was able to play with it a little over Christmas. It does have the flip out screen like you are looking for. I was impressed with its capabilities and functionality in terms of the settings that can be changed and customized.
      You can get it today from B&H with the 18-55 kit lens for $629.
      If the $600 dollar price point is where you are at I can recommend this camera.

Comment

You dont have a ton of options with the fold out screen. The D5000 is it for Nikon, but I dont know about Olympus/Canon. B&H has the D5000 refurbished for $530 I bought my D40 refurbished from B&H and have no complaints. Macro ability is determined by the lens, not the camera. The kit lens does a surprising job at close focusing. Depending on your needs, it may be more than adequate. After that, the cheapest way to take macro shots is with extension tubes. Sigma also makes a zoom lens with macro capability for $210. UV filters screw onto the lens, so another non camera specific item. There are acutally a ton of different filters you can use. Just get the ones for the thread size of the lens you have.

Comment

We have several digital SLR cameras here, but none of them have threads on the lens to attach filters. I will check out the D5000, thanks!

Comment

What do you have? That seems odd for an SLR.

Comment

Ok, that seems to be close to what we need. I appreciate your help, I had no idea of where to even look.

Comment

Oh, let me look, we have both a Canon and a Nikon.

The Canon is a PowerShot G5 and I can't find the Nikon right now, but it is OLD!

Comment

Working...
                X