Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone successfully gotten rid of yaupon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nova View Post
    Auto correct got him. He was trying to say Garlon 4 with surfactant. They have massive reserves in their root systems. By spraying the entire plant, you have more surface area for the chemical to soak in and do its work.
    Thanks, I looked up grazon 4 and there was no such thing. Is garlon restricted?

Comment

You can come dig up all you want my place
      Haha thanks, but I've tried that before I started buying them. At $100-$400 per bush that I bought, I wish they where easier to dig out by hand

Comment

MAP, I'm afraid your gonna have to by me a new key pad. I just choked onto mine. !-400.00 for yaupon. WOW! I've always said if yaupon, mesquite, cedar, horse nettle and silver leaf nightshade were worth something I'd be a millionaire. Maybe I can be...

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
          Thanks, I looked up grazon 4 and there was no such thing. Is garlon restricted?
          Garlon4 is what they're referring to, and it's not restricted. Triclopyr ester. It's essentially equivalent to Remedy.

Grazon p+d contains 2,4-D and picloram, and is restricted.

Comment

MAP, I'm afraid your gonna have to by me a new key pad. I just choked onto mine. !-400.00 for yaupon. WOW! I've always said if yaupon, mesquite, cedar, horse nettle and silver leaf nightshade were worth something I'd be a millionaire. Maybe I can be...
            haha yup, people dont realize how much it cost to create alittle cover. Alittle yaupon that is about 18" tall will go for $12-$30 depending on the store

I have a friend in Dimmit county who will make about $300K this year off of his ranch selling rocks that they find laying around. Of course they are big rocks, but are being used for landscaping in the Austin to Dallas area.

Comment

I have 50 acres of the stuff more or less. I root it up with a grapple and burn it. I'm told a controlled burn will eradicate it as well, but I have enough trees that I'd rather not risk losing any of them to fire. I haven't had much luck with herbicides, probably because I'm too careful around the trees.

Comment

When I had a small place, I cut most of it down, but kept larger ones for tea leaves. Just get a few hogs to tear the place up after you cut it down lol

Comment

Fire will control yaupon, and it's the cheapest way to go. A cool season fire will not hurt dormant trees, so no concern there. But, while fire will control yaupon, really dense stands will not have enough fine fuel to carry a fire through there. So, an initial mechanical treatment is usually best (handcutting, dozing, mulching, etc.). But, you better have a follow-up plan in place because it will resprout with a vengeance. This is where fire is most applicable. Herbicides work as well, but it is much more labor-intensive and much more expensive.

Comment

Yaupon is one of the few plants in North America that contains caffeine in the leafs as well as theobromine. Birds eat the berries. I’ve always liked the way they look in winter covered in bright red berries.

Comment

You can mulch, but plan to spray the sprouts with Remedy for the next several years.

$125 per hour, Pure Lefty? That's a great price!

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                        You can mulch, but plan to spray the sprouts with Remedy for the next several years.

$125 per hour, Pure Lefty? That's a great price!
                        What's a few more gallons of remedy a year....

Comment

Originally posted by Button View Post
                          Yaupon is one of the few plants in North America that contains caffeine in the leafs as well as theobromine. Birds eat the berries. I’ve always liked the way they look in winter covered in bright red berries.

I like the way they look too. I just wish I would see them somewhere else. Like through a telescope.

Comment

I kill it on my fence lines with 2oz Remedy + 2oz Roundup per gallon of water and it don't come back.

For just Youpon the Round Up is likely not needed, that is just my go to fence spray that kills grass, weeds and woody plants all in one shot

Comment

Do not mulch. You got to get the roots out so use a dozer. If you can afford that or you have a small project go with remedy. You could if its a small project go ahead and mulch and then spot spray the remedy where it starts growing back. ....... and it will grow back.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                                Landrover, Can you elaborate a little.
                                Sorry about auto correct....yes, Garlon 4 which has the same active ingredient as Remedy. It works. Either hit it as it is growing in the spring or summer. HUGE root system!!! Waxy leaf species. I have sprayed drums of it during my forestry and right- away chemical sales days about.... 250k acres.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X