My Grandfather's Obituary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Grandfather's Obituary

My Grandfather's obituary just posted. It's kind of weird since we lost him on New Year's Eve 2017. He will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery on June 7th. He was a good man who lived an amazing life. He never really hunted, but loved fishing. He took a lot of bobbers to the back of the head and I stuck him with more than one hook when I was a kid. He never raised his voice at me. He would just look at me and say "Let's not try to do that again." He was the best football fan a high school football player could have. He rarely spoke of his service, but if you got him in the right mood he would tell you a couple of stories. His nickname "Dutch" came from a commander who said he couldn't have some guy named Elmer leading a squadron. He asked my Papa if he had a nickname and he said no. The commander then asked him where he was from. He responded, "Pennsylvania Dutch Country". The commander decided on the spot he would go by Dutch from then on. I need to stop writing or this could be the longest post in history of the TBH. I miss him dearly.

Elmer "Dutch" E. Springer Jr.
    BORN MAY 23, 1921
    Obituary of Elmer "Dutch" E. Springer Jr.
    Col. USAF (Ret.) Age 96
    Of Winston-Salem, NC, died on December 31, 2017 in Arbor Acres with family members by his side. Dutch was born May 23, 1921 to Elmer E. Springer and Margaret A. (Goss) Springer in Altoona, Pennsylvania. He married Bertha E. (O’Sche) Springer on Nov. 12, 1943 and for the next 67 years raised a family in various military posts and communities. He was a devoted husband and father and was loved by all who knew him. Dutch is survived by his daughters, Josephine and Carol; sons Bernard, Leo, and Matthew; eight grandchildren, and 20 great-grandchildren, all of whom he was extremely proud. Dutch was a career U.S. Air Force (USAF) fighter pilot. On Jan. 8, 1943 he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force. He served his country with honor and distinction, most notably in World War II and Korea, but rarely talked about his accomplishments. He flew cover on D-Day over the beaches of Normandy. He was later shot down over France, escaped with Patton’s Third Army, and returned to fly additional missions. Dutch flew jet fighters during following assignments in the United States, Germany, Turkey, and Libya. He served as squadron commander of the 23rd Tactical Fighter Squadron (TFS) in Germany, and of the 335th TFS in North Carolina. During his assignment with the 335th TFS, he led the memorial fly-by for the funeral of President John F. Kennedy. Dutch was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, World War II Victory Medal, Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal and many other commendations for his service. After retiring from the USAF, he continued his life-long dedication to public service with the Department of the Navy. A graveside service will be held June 7, 2018 at 1 p.m. at Arlington National Cemetery with Full Military Honors. In lieu of floral tributes, donations may be made to the Alzheimer's Association (www.alz.org).

Wow what a man

Comment

Nice

Comment

Heck of a Man! Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Prayers up, RIP Dutch.

Comment

Something to be proud of!!! Hell of a man

Comment

Originally posted by brandona View Post
              something to be proud of!!! Hell of a man
              this!

Comment

RIP....Mr. Dutch

Comment

Sounds like a fine man! Prayers sent for you and your family. RIP Dutch!

Comment

Some of these old timers were real tough men for sure. I love hearing these stories. My brother in law who passed last year was also a pilot in the Korean War and was shot down with 2 of his buddies and hid out for a year before they were recused. He always laughs about his mama getting paid $400 death benefits. Rip with the other heroes.

Comment

Your grandpa saw a lot in those years and certainly served his country with honor. God speed Dutch.

Comment

Ditto

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                        Something to be proud of!!! Hell of a man
                        Agreed

Comment

That just don't build'em like that any more! RIP

Comment

The greatest generation.

Comment

Great Man! They don't call them the Greatest Generation for nothing.
                              RIP Dutch!

Comment

Working...
                              X