Opening weekend buck! (150” 12pt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening weekend buck! (150” 12pt)

First off I would like to say Thank the Lord for the great outdoors. Without him there would be none of this!

Little background of the ranch. About 5 years ago we got on this gem of a place in West Texas. Roughly 4,000 acres low fence. Year one we started the management plan on this place with feed/water/herd management. We could tell there was great potential but will say the first year the best deer killed off it was roughly 117” 8 pt. Since then this place has had 4 deer killed over the 50’s and quite a few 30’s and 40’s. Major progression we have seen that has come from hard work and determination through the group.

Now to the deer hunt openin weekend. I got out west late Friday night due to work and kissin mama and baby good bye.. get to camp and it’s full per usual for the big weekend. One of my good buds on the lease Dad had just got back from Colorado and had shot a big 300” bull with his bow. So we got to all sit around and hear the great story that came with that and check out the awesome set of antlers in his truck over a few colds beverages. Settled in and got some quick shut eye before the mornin. (I think..it’s like Christmas and don’t think I slept a wink [emoji16])

I climbed in the blind at about 5:30am to try and get there with plenty of time to let things settled before daylight. Moon was as bright as the sun and could see 7 raccoons, 2 possums and a couple small deer eatin in the feed pen. Time crawls along and about 6:45 I see a big bodied deer come walking right to left in front of my blind heading straight for my hand corn. Moonlight I could make out he was a good one. He walks 15 yards to my left and turns broadside in my hand feed. I put the binos up and I can tell it’s a tall heavy buck. I knew what deer it was then from trail cam pictures and my heart went to thumpin! Thought to myself I’m going to have to sit here for 20 mins and watch this big sucker eat before shootin light! 20 mins felt like 9 hours. 7:10 came and he was still parked right on my hand corn and it was about to be go time. I raised my bow and look at pin and decided to give him a few more mins. Right after that thought, two bucks walked up and they both threw their head down and pushed Ol big off! I couldn’t believe it, I was thinkin man I probably could have shot him but didn’t want to risk not knowing where I hit him. So I sat and waited praying he would come back in. Mornin went on and he never came back. I went back to camp and hoped he would show for the evenin!

Afternoon, I Climb in the blind early at about 3:30 and it is HOT! Out where we hunt there’s no big trees so we sit in enclosed blinds and it was a steamer. 2 hours go by and nothing is stirring but the birds. I looked at my watch and knew about 10mins (5:45) the feeder was going to throw. I then look up out of my hand corn window and I see antlers comin though the mesquites. Here he comes! First deer in and it’s him, couldn’t believe it! He plays the script, walks right in to my hand corn at 15 yards broadside. I hit record on my camera and pull my bow back. Lean forward and anchor behind his shoulder. Take my deep breath and slowly starting to squeeze release. Then he looks up frantically and turns to face the opposite way! The two bullies are back! Two bucks walk up and push him and he hops in the feed pen! I keep my bow pulled and he’s walkin left to right in the perfect 20 yard shot range! At that point I said the heck with the camera and all that. He stops I’m going to stick him! He stops qtred slighty and I go through the motions, anchor, deep breath, and was about to squeeze...And the feeder spins!! He freaks out and hops straight out of the feed pen right at me! And turns his body to look back at the feeder qtred slighty away! I say it’s time, go through progressions, and I touch the trigger! Arrow zips him and he doesn’t act like anything happened! He takes 3-4 steps and I see blood comin out 3-4” in front of hind qtr! I knew he was qtred so was thinking I’m in good opp shoulder pocket! But decided to try and grab another arrow and put one in him since he was just standing there! I reach back to grab one and my arrow barely knicks the steel frame of the blind! He heard that and sped up his hunched walk away. He walked straight out from my feeder and went into a thick cedar bush that I can see both sides of. Was waiting to see if he came out and he never did. So I thought to myself he’s laid up and gonna die in there. My eyes were glued to that tree thicket for 45 mins! Then I see a gray fox come out by that thicket and then I see my buck walking right to left in the gap! I throw up my binos quick to see where the exit was! Blood was all on his side and looked decent behind the shoulder! Couldn’t believe he was still rollin like nothing happened! I get that sick feeling really quick and the thoughts of what to do ran through my head..long sit til dark due to other deer feeding in the pen. Dark came, I got out and looked at the arrow and it was mainly gut with grass smell and little blood. Where he walked after impact was a steady blood trail... and a good pool. He was leaking. As I thought about how he got up after 45 mins, I decided to call one of the best trackin dogs I’ve seen work get on him bc I had a feeling he was going to be alive. Deer this quality I didn’t want to risk it. Called Matt McWilliams and told him the situation, he answered and was out of breath.. said he was actually tracking a deer right then and was in San Angelo! Said perfect and told him to come on after!

Go back to camp and tell everyone the story, ate some dinner and had a few cold ones to calm the nerves. About 10:30 Matt and his Dad pulled up to the gate. He follows me out to the stand and he gets Jock out. Jock hits the trail runnin. 15 mins into it we hear Jock barking steady and he’s got him bayed up! The rest is history, Big buck down! We drive around and I got my hands on a West Texas stud! Want to thank Matt and Jock, and all my buds that were there to be apart of it. All of that wouldn’t of happened with out them and that deer wouldn’t be what he was without the dedication and love of growing big whitetails! Went back to camp and got him gutted and in the cooler. Threw a rough tape on him and came up with 150 4/8!

Was a great weekend with great friends! Love the sport we call bow hunting, and all thanks to the man above. I know it was a long read but thanks for following along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on a beautiful buck

Comment

Very Nice!!!

Comment

Awesome buck!!!Congrats

Comment

Yes sir, that would be a toad right there.

Congrats

Rwc

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck yeah congratulations.

Comment

Congratulations!!

Comment

Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Great deer!
                    Congrats!

Comment

Supercool! Congrats!!!

Comment

Oh Yeah! Congrats. Heck of a buck.

Comment

Congrats! Awesome when things work out like that.

Comment

Nice write up and congrats on a great deer!

Comment

That's why we do what we do. WAY TO GO!

Comment

Working...
                              X