2020/2021 east texas hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
    Or, it could be deer rut at different time in different areas of East Texas.
    Well never know. Could be several factors. As I suggested ... hunt as much as you can between now and the rifle season and never miss a November 7th ...

Seems like things start spiking right around now every year, but that does not necessarily result in increases in deer-stand sightings unlike late Oct and early Nov. But that won’t prevent and few good deer being taken between now and then... just too many guys in the woods bow hunting for there not be connections.

Every year we do this and it never gets old.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
      So is the rut that will happen like every year gun opener be the second rut? And the december follow up be the third?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The rut is several months long. There are waves if does coming in heat at 28 day intervals. When many of th he does come in at once it makes for super hard hunting as the bucks are locked down. The thing going on right now is a few early does started popping. The bucks went nuts. Next week we will probably have a huge wave of does in heat. Just after they go out the hunting will get great again as bucks are competing again. Thus gun season when everyone thinks the rut is starting.

Comment

It complicates things when you are on the fringe of two areas like we are, both Gulf North and Pinewoods South.
        Last edited by Greenheadless; 10-12-2020, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          The rut is several months long. There are waves if does coming in heat at 28 day intervals. When many of th he does come in at once it makes for super hard hunting as the bucks are locked down. The thing going on right now is a few early does started popping. The bucks went nuts. Next week we will probably have a huge wave of does in heat. Just after they go out the hunting will get great again as bucks are competing again. Thus gun season when everyone thinks the rut is starting.

Soo if a big amount of does come in.......next weekend will suck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
            Soo if a big amount of does come in.......next weekend will suck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No it will be because of high temps and acorns being on the ground. The MAJORITY of does will cycle like normal end of October early November per usual. A lone doe here an there cycling early is the same as one cycling on Christmas Day. The best rut activity will be last week of October and first week of November.

Comment

No it will be because of high temps and acorns being on the ground. The MAJORITY of does will cycle like normal end of October early November per usual. A lone doe here an there cycling early is the same as one cycling on Christmas Day. The best rut activity will be last week of October and first week of November.

Shhhh the best time to hunt is November! Deer sleep all day until November first then they only sleep at night everyone knows that

Comment

[QUOTE=FLASH_OUTDOORS;15164364]Soo if a big amount of does come in.......next weekend will suck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/

I dont think so. Hunting is good right now though. I just watched a very nice 8 pt walk away. He looked yummy.

Comment

Here’s my personal formula that has given me a lot of success over the years. I understand there’s always going to be an outlier... feed sources corn/acorn flats with easy access and the right winds from Opener to 3rd week of October (always be in the stand the 24 hrs before and after any front during this time) during this time it’s more important to make sure you’re not leaving your scent and activity all over the place i hunt 50% of the time vs other times of the season, last week of October to middle of November travel corridors and edges of open fields etc, last week of November to season end back to food sources.... that’s how i personally approach the season every year, as long as winds right and access is Easy being in the stand will always up your odds of crossing paths with one.

Comment

2020/2021 east texas hunting thread

It’s the same conversation year after year lol.

The rut is a bell curve of does that cycle every 30ish days until they are bred. MLD properties in Trinity county show the earliest fetuses are bred October 10-12 every year. Does this mean the rut is going on now?? Yes it does... but the majority of does are not in. It’s a slow climb to its peak in early November for most of the does at the top of the bell curve. The bell curve again happen in late November to early December on does that weren’t bred or does with fawns that’s are just now ready, this again happens in late December early January. But now most does have been covered. Then late season starts 6 month old fawns does coming to weight and coming in heat.

Does a buck chasing a doe mean the rut is on??? Not necessarily. You got to think. These guys get some booty once a year. Pretty much from the time they peel out of velvet til they loose horns they are thinking about it. Little bucks are the worst (example: highschool and college boys) When you see an old man out there staying step for step with a doe like a cutting horse. You know it’s on.

Taking everything in context. Yes does are being bred right now. Is this the peak of the rut? No. I’ve personally watched bucks top a doe as early as October 15th. To me the peak for my hunting area (walker, Montgomery, Houston, Polk) is late October to early November.

North American whitetail says November 15th is the number 1 days for most does bred in the US.

Last edited by Tshelly; 10-13-2020, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                      It’s the same conversation year after year lol.

The rut is a bell curve of does that cycle every 30ish days until they are bred. MLD properties in Trinity county show the earliest fetuses are bred October 10-12 every year. Does this mean the rut is going on now?? Yes it does... but the majority of does are not in. It’s a slow climb to a peak of early November for most of the does at the top of the bell curve. The. The bell curve again happen in late November to early December on does that weren’t bred or does with fawns that’s are just now ready, this again happens in late December early January. But now most does have been covered. Then late season starts 6 month old fawns does coming to weight and coming in heat.

Does a buck chasing a doe mean the rut is on??? Not necessarily. You got to think. These guys get some booty once a year. Pretty much from the time they peel out of velvet til they loose horns they are thinking about it. Little bucks are the worst (example: highschool and college boys) When you see an old man out there staying step for step with a doe like a cutting horse. You know it’s on.

Taking everything in context. Yes does are being bred right now. Is this the peak of the rut? No. I’ve personally watched bucks too a doe as early as October 15th. To me the peak for my hunting area (walker, Montgomery, Houston, Polk) is late October to early November.

I’m gonna start pinning this in the opening paragraph from now on when starting the thread for each year [emoji1787]....

Comment

I’m gonna start pinning this in the opening paragraph from now on when starting the thread for each year [emoji1787]....

Lol [emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          I dont think so. Hunting is good right now though. I just watched a very nice 8 pt walk away. He looked yummy.
                          Nice. Your place always sounds like it has awesome activity.

I am at my lease near Grapeland sitting in the tree stand over a free choice feeder and have not seen anything. I heard some movement in the brush a couple different places, one being right behind me. Made a lot of noise going through the brush and sounded big, but I couldn't get a look at it and didn't come into the feeder pen. Got a good morning heart pump though.

Still hoping the rest of the day pans out.

J

Comment

Here’s my personal formula that has given me a lot of success over the years. I understand there’s always going to be an outlier... feed sources corn/acorn flats with easy access and the right winds from Opener to 3rd week of October (always be in the stand the 24 hrs before and after any front during this time) during this time it’s more important to make sure you’re not leaving your scent and activity all over the place i hunt 50% of the time vs other times of the season, last week of October to middle of November travel corridors and edges of open fields etc, last week of November to season end back to food sources.... that’s how i personally approach the season every year, as long as winds right and access is Easy being in the stand will always up your odds of crossing paths with one.

Good info.

I dont have access to open fields, but will have to grab the climbing stand and try the corridors during that time frame a couple times.

J

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
                              Good info.

I dont have access to open fields, but will have to grab the climbing stand and try the corridors during that time frame a couple times.

J

If you don’t have open fields the down wind side of bedding areas works also as buck cruise scent checking for does

Comment

Lol, absolutely zero activity from deer in Marion county. Hogs are moving, bought a deer tag to hog hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X