Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've gotta overcome this scent control crap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
    Instead of trying to get ride of it, why not get them used to it?

Get two old shirts, every time you walk to the stand, swap your shirt out, and leave the sweaty one hanging in stand when you leave.

Before the day of thermacells, we did this with mosquito spray. We would spray the entire stand down every time we were out there. We did dump a bag of corn every time we sprayed, but they get used to it pretty quick.
    I'm just beginning on the bow hunting experience but have been busted a couple of times and thought about this same thing. Why not use your scent in the area to be the "normal" scent that the deer get used to. Hang up already worn clothes around your blind area for days on end should do it. If deer can get use to other things like tractors, trucks, etc. in their area and feel calm about it, then a scent shouldn't throw them off that they are used to. I guess the problem would be that you have to have that scent refreshed often which may not be the same as the times you get to go hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
      I used to have the same problem. now I ride an electric bike to the stand. its silent, I get there in under 2 min which used to be a 25-30 min hike. the deer you drive by just watch you ride by and don't run.
      I use a golf cart. It works ! No sweat and you can leave very little scent in the air because you're moving too fast.

Comment

It's a helluva lot easier to enjoy your hunt if you're not busting deer left and right on the way to and in the stand. Just sayin......

Comment

Originally posted by huntingjunkie View Post
          If possible, cut some fresh cedar limbs. Stomp on them to rub scent in sole of hunting boots real good and rub them all over your clothes. I would also pack my clothes in a bin with fresh cedar limbs. Natural strong scent. I would also set pop ups and tripods cut in big cedars if at all possible. Just a thought...
          Since I started this I have not been winded busted moving etc but not winded

Comment

If you are sweating from your walk in, deer are going to smell you, regardless of what scent control methods you are using.
            And if you are walking across an open field, deer are going to see you. Access and exit routes are very important. I would find a way to enter the area in a different manner. either from a different direction or driving closer to the stand before you walk in, and go around that open field.

Comment

Cedar branches like the others have said. Cut some and rub them all over your clothes, boots, everything. Free, easy and definitely a good source of scent cover.

Comment

Just the other day I was thinking about the difference in hunting east Texas vs. west of I35. I grew up hunting in the western hill country and south Texas, and wind direction wasn't really a big deal. I remember many times having deer on all sides of me while in a live oak tree just 10-12 feet high. There is no way that would happen in East Texas, even with good scent control efforts. No way I would risk sitting with wind in the wrong direction in East Texas. Add in the swirling effect from all the trees and creek bottoms, and the humidity making excellent conditions for deer to smell, and fighting the wind is a much bigger problem in East Texas than many other places.

Comment

Spot sounds unhuntable to me, unless there is another access. As mentioned previously, take a look at your set up as well. You need to be at least somewhat downwind of your feeder.

Comment

Sounds like you need to figure out how to drive to the stand. Either get fourwheeler or maybe different route. Deer at my place really dont care if you drive by but if you are walking its different.

Comment

1. Have more than one stand.
                      2 Check wind direction before you go hunting on weather station or smart phone.
                      3 Pick stand that favors the current wind direction for that day.
                      4 Walk, ride bike, ride 4-wheeler, truck or have someone drop you off along the best route to deer stand to spook the least amount of game getting to stand.
                      5. Hunt and enjoy your self.

You are way overthinking this. If you can afford an ozonics go for it for extra protection.

Have you ever seen drug dogs smell drugs in a vehicle, in a gas tank, wrapped 20 times in plastic? Deer smell as good or better than that dog does, you ain't going to beat their nose!

Comment

Couple thoughts:
                        Get up higher if using a tree stand
                        Try cover scent
                        Absolutely do not cross that field where deer graze - find a back/side way in - its not only your body/clothes that they can smell, but the crushed grass/leaves/sticks where you walk in. We don't notice it, but to them it smells like fresh cut grass & if they are wary they will know to stay away

Comment

Problem solved.

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                            Problem solved.

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk
                            I'm beginning to wonder if anyone actually goes hunting or just sits around talking about going hunting. Wind, scent, acorns, bigfoot, and pumas...good lord just hunt.
                            1% of the people will kill a buck over 135"
                            99% of people will dream of killing a 135
                            80-90% of the people dont hunt land that will produce a 135 or better
                            More than 90% of the people in texas stare at a feeder while waiting for conditioned deer to show up 2.5 min after a feeder goes off.
                            Please! I'm begging you folks to just learn to actually enjoy being in the woods.
                            ( all statistical data is made up so dont ask for links )

Comment

Why do you think a lot of big deer are killed on farms not too far from a barn or house? Because they get used to human smells, tractors, dogs, etc. I mean, think about it. How many times do you see deer standing in people yards feeding? They get used to smells if it's in the area often enough. I have the same problem on public land. Walk a long distance in pretty much open field to get to the woods that my stand is in, sweating like a work mule by the time I get in the stand. BUT, I'm walking along a fence line that has cows on the private land across the fence, the owner comes out everyday to feed the cows and drives his truck around. Deer are used to humans being around. Now having said that, they don't stick around when you come walking through, but they ain't leaving the county either. They just run off far enough to be "out of sight" and go about their business. They will be back. Just let things calm down once your in the stand and enjoy the hunt. Don't overthink it.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                                Why do you think a lot of big deer are killed on farms not too far from a barn or house? Because they get used to human smells, tractors, dogs, etc. I mean, think about it. How many times do you see deer standing in people yards feeding? They get used to smells if it's in the area often enough. I have the same problem on public land. Walk a long distance in pretty much open field to get to the woods that my stand is in, sweating like a work mule by the time I get in the stand. BUT, I'm walking along a fence line that has cows on the private land across the fence, the owner comes out everyday to feed the cows and drives his truck around. Deer are used to humans being around. Now having said that, they don't stick around when you come walking through, but they ain't leaving the county either. They just run off far enough to be "out of sight" and go about their business. They will be back. Just let things calm down once your in the stand and enjoy the hunt. Don't overthink it.

Comment

Working...
                                X