Stiff spine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiff spine

I've dialed in my setup but on paper it seems like most people would think I'm using too stiff of a spine so I just wanted to throw this out there and see if I'm off base.

Bow: Hoyt Satori 19" riser--50# med limbs (Pulls 57# at my DL) (.200" past center)
    Draw Length- 29.5"
    Velocity: 175 fps
    Arrow setup: Black Eagle Outlaw--300 spine-- 100 grain insert weight-- 200 grain broadhead-- 5" feathers-- 32.5" long-- 625 grains total weight

Bare shaft tuning shows it to be dead on and maybe even a little weak. My broadheads (cutthroat and VPAs) hit with my field points.

does this sound solid? It's confusing to me that with all the talk of high FOC there are not very many trad arrows that go to 300 spine which makes me think I'm overspined but my experience says that it's tuned well.

Thanks!

At that length, and that much front load, I would think them to be a tad weak at 57#.

As near as I can figure, they look like they would match up best to about 53#, but that's not far off your 57#.

That said - If they shoot, they shoot, and that's the end all be all of it.

Rick

Comment

It sounds like your bow is cut well past center. That can have a major (and unpredictable) effect on tuning. But the proof is in the pudding, so to speak, and if they bare shaft well, you're good to go!

Comment

p.s. Easton Axis shafts can be found in a 34" .260 spine if you decide to go way up in weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
          It sounds like your bow is cut well past center. That can have a major (and unpredictable) effect on tuning. But the proof is in the pudding, so to speak, and if they bare shaft well, you're good to go!

Sorry. It’s not past center. It’s from center. I worded it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

oh... now I'm second guessing myself a bit? Tuning always makes my head fuzzy. But I stand by what I said, bareshafts consistently flying straight is all that matters.

Comment

If your broadheads impact where you want them to at 20 yards you are good enough. At 57# and 600 grain arrow unless you hit with the arrow sideways it’s going to blow through anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was in the same boat. I am not seasoned and was questioning my arrows as well. I shoot a Bear Montana 55# @28.5 to 29 in draw. Not considered a fast bow. My arrows bare shafted to 35 yards. Broadheads and fletched were grouping. They are Beman 340s @30in with 100g insert and 175 point with 4inch feathers. 575g total
                Nice to see no one scolded you like they did me on another site for how you went about finding that combo. The good advice I got there was like they said here if the group they group. Shoot them for awhile then reevaluate. If your like me and your form is still getting better things may change.

Comment

Working...
                X