Mud hole advice ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mud hole advice ??

With all the rain we have had in the last 4 months, the gate going into my pasture at my house is a mud pit. The area is about 30 ft X 30 ft. I sink down about 8 inches and when my cows try and go through it they sink down to their knees. I was thinking of getting some 4" - 8" rock and putting it in and smashing it down with my tractor to build a base and then come back with smaller gravel as a top coat.
    What are your thoughts or ideas?

Depends on how rotten it is. I have seen areas that had to be dug out and compacted. I have put about ten 18 wheeler loads on my driveway which is only about 150 feet. The sand just swallowed the rock until it was 8-10" thick.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
      Depends on how rotten it is. I have seen areas that had to be dug out and compacted. I have put about ten 18 wheeler loads on my driveway which is only about 150 feet. The sand just swallowed the rock until it was 8-10" thick.
      My soil is mainly clay with a layer of rock about 12-15 inches down. That is why I was thinking 4-8 inch rock because it would take up more space.

Comment

I would go and get some 3/4 inch rock and start dumping until you fill it, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
          My soil is mainly clay with a layer of rock about 12-15 inches down. That is why I was thinking 4-8 inch rock because it would take up more space.
          Sounds like a good plan to me.

Comment

If it has a bottom that will work. I wouldn't use bull rock if you intend to drive on it. That stuff is **** on tires!

Comment

Old shingles+ rock repeat

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just start adding a few bags of Portland cement each trip, will be solid as a slab before you know it

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                  With all the rain we have had in the last 4 months, the gate going into my pasture at my house is a mud pit. The area is about 30 ft X 30 ft. I sink down about 8 inches and when my cows try and go through it they sink down to their knees. I was thinking of getting some 4" - 8" rock and putting it in and smashing it down with my tractor to build a base and then come back with smaller gravel as a top coat.

What are your thoughts or ideas?
                  I think you have a good plan. I just built a 450' drive way out of 3x5 rock on a plowed wheat field in black dirt. We went 6" thick with that and let 12 loaded concrete trucks and 18 end dumps run across it and it held up perfect. I'm going to layer it with road base at the end and call it good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

geo textile fabric might save you some on rock in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                      Great idea

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                        This... sometimes you can find palates of old shingles that have been sitting around that somebody wants to get rid of. Great for filling holes up.

Comment

Do you have a subsoiler attachment for your tractor? I would rip a number of cuts outward from the mud hole (think like a starburst in several directions from the center of the hole. when it rains, this water will have somewhere to go besides sitting in the hole. ultimately you will still need to add some more material because you are probably down to the clay and it isn't absorbing anything. dirt is a lot cheaper than rock too.

Comment

Your plan is great. I've fixed many soft spots in the oil field just like that. I would try to pump the water off first, but I built three low water crossings on my place with water running through them just like you described. Held up loaded log trucks, can't ask for better.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                              Do you have a subsoiler attachment for your tractor? I would rip a number of cuts outward from the mud hole (think like a starburst in several directions from the center of the hole. when it rains, this water will have somewhere to go besides sitting in the hole. ultimately you will still need to add some more material because you are probably down to the clay and it isn't absorbing anything. dirt is a lot cheaper than rock too.
                              Nope don’t have anything like that. I’d have to take the dirt that is there out before I put more dirt in or I would just make that a high spot and the water would pool somewhere else I would think.

Comment

Working...
                              X