Trophy question on pigs and yotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trophy question on pigs and yotes

How many of yall consider them trophies and why?

Looking at various threads on yote and pigs, seeing the Euros and Taxi work, just thought I would ask.

Big hogs over 300# I consider a trophy. Why? Because a true 300 #er is hard to kill.

Coyotes are hard to kill also.

Comment

No on yotes....

Yes on big boars with the weight and cutters/whets to match..

Comment

Like RiverRat said, 300#+ pig, a coyote with a nice winter coat with a bow would be a trophy to me

Comment

I had a pedestal mount done on my first coyote. I called it in with a mouth call and had little experience with calling them. It was one of the more exciting hunts I'd ever had.
          I also had a euro done on my first bow hog. Tried a bunch of times to kill one with a bow, when I finally did, it was worth a mount.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Coyotes over 38 lbs and pigs over 300 are trophies to me!!!

With that being said I have killed over 50 yotes this year and don't have one mounted. A few over 38.

2-3 pigs 300 or better and getting a 300 from months back euro mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
              Coyotes over 38 lbs and pigs over 300 are trophies to me!!!

With that being said I have killed over 50 yotes this year and don't have one mounted. A few over 38.

2-3 pigs 300 or better and getting a 300 from months back euro mounted.
              Agree, big dog at our local tournament a couple years ago was right at 49-50 lbs. Our big dog last year was #43 and that is a big dog for sure.

Comment

I think if I killed a 300 pound pig with good cutters I would say it is a trophy. And the yotes if I killed one that has a different coat from the rest or some unique trait, then I would consider it a trophy also.

Comment

Big pig with long cutters, yes. Yotes no.

Comment

I ran hog dogs for 20 years and only caught 2 true 300's. One butterball sow living on seed oats in the field, and one boar thats.on my wall. Hes a trophy to me, but Ive seen some 200's with nice cutters. Coyotes are a scourge and big coyotes are big scourges.
                    R

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post

Looking at various threads on yote and pigs, seeing the Euros and Taxi work, just thought I would ask.
                      Depends on your definition of "trophy."

When I shot a coyote with a beautiful coat last winter, I spent $150 and got his hide tanned.

If I shoot a hog that has nice cutters, I DIY a euro. If I shot a 300+ hog with incredible cutters, I would consider a $500 shoulder mount.

That's as far as I go.

Comment

Anything that lives to be old/big in the wild is a trophy to me. A mature old boar and alpha male yote, sure, they are trophies to me.

Comment

Coyotes dont really appeal to me but I'm trying hard to kill a trophy boar with nice cutters to euro or possibly shoulder mount.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post

Have you ever been in precision archery and seen their hog mounts? That's what I'm hoping for.

Comment

Lots of factors go into it. I euroed my first hog I shot with a compound. Probably would have euroed my first trad hog (was my first trad kill) but didn't because it ended up with a bullet hole in its head after the track at night with a dog. Didn't euro my son's first hog with a rifle because he had already shot a nice buck... caught some grief from him after the fact and after something dragged it away from the gut pile (yep, I went back the next week looking for it!) My daughter's first critter will be a hog and I will euro it (and I am sure my son will remind me of my pervious transgression.) My wife didn't want her first hog (first critter) euroed, so we didn't.

They are trophies when they are trophies. A trophy is just something your are proud of. For many bowhunters, the hog is their first kill. So it makes sense to record the memory with the skull.

Comment

Working...
                              X