New Kawasaki Mule issue....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Kawasaki Mule issue....

I purchased a 2019 Mule Trans 4X4 this past month. Other than it has the ground clearance of a Corvette, I really like it. I have noticed an issue that I need help with.

While the transmission is placed in 4 wheel drive high I can be driving along and there will be this loud "clunk" sound and it appears to be coming from the front differential. It will do it over and over again. When changing from 4WD to 2WD I put it in neutral, put it in 2WD, then back up a short distance and the shift selector clicks. I think this is disengaging the hubs?

When going from 2WD to 4WD do I need to back up a little for something to engage or what? It doesn't make that sound in 2WD.

The manual says absolutely nothing about backing up a short distance. Thanks for the help.

I have a 2014 and always back up when disengaging the 4wd on mine. I don’t typically shift to neutral when going into or out of 4wd. Not sure what the manual says but I don’t do that. As far as the clunk noise I don’t think I’ve ever heard that on mine. I’ve had great luck with my machine, for ground cleanace I put a cheap eBay lift on it and put 26” tires on it. The tires helped alot

Comment

Mine does the same thing if I do not back up after taking it out of 4x4. Its a horrible noise.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the issue is just in 4WD. The manual says to put it in neutral BEFORE shifting to 4WD, but nothing about backing up or anything to engage/disengage anything.

Comment

A loft kit is absolutely needed for these machines. Made a huge difference for mine. I used. The Hi-lifter 2” kit which is actually 4”.

Comment

Backing up disengages the 4x4 its like an 80's chevrolet pickup.

Do this every time you take it out of 4x4 or it'll cause damage.

If it keeps clunking like this even after backing up there is a linkage that needs to be adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
              Mine does the same thing if I do not back up after taking it out of 4x4. Its a horrible noise.
              My problem is when it is in 4WD.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                My problem is when it is in 4WD.
                That's a linkage problem take it back to the dealership for adjustment.

Its pretty common. We get 1-2 new mules a year and this will happen within the first 50 hours or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                  That's a linkage problem take it back to the dealership for adjustment.

Its pretty common. We get 1-2 new mules a year and this will happen within the first 50 hours or so.

Thanks Randy. I just found an old KTech News bulletin that pretty much said there may be a linkage issue. I'm going to the lease the last weekend of the season. I'll bring it back. Will it hurt it if I use it? I can pretty much drive around the lease in 2WD, but only need 4WD every once in awhile.

Comment

Thanks Randy. I just found an old KTech News bulletin that pretty much said there may be a linkage issue. I'm going to the lease the last weekend of the season. I'll bring it back. Will it hurt it if I use it? I can pretty much drive around the lease in 2WD, but only need 4WD every once in awhile.

I don’t think the occasional pop will hurt over the course of a weekend.

I always lock the diff when I first start to slip.
                    You can get around a lot of places like that.

Then engage 4x after that if I have to.

Comment

Thanks for the information!

Now my GF wants me to put a high seat in the back!

Comment

Dealership told me it was normal when shifting out of 4X4.... I'll try the reverse now to see if that fixes it on mine...

About to take mine in for the first 50 hour maintenance check.

My high-rack was my favorite addition. Shot my javelina at 375 from it....

Comment

That KTech bulletin said the same thing that Randy posted. The lady I talked to at the dealership said she thought I might have to back up a little when going into 4 WD because she knows that it has to be done with a Polaris. Mine has got a bout 30 hours on it now. I'll take it in when the season ends.

Yeah, that high seat is a blessing. I sure could have used it this past weekend. We jumped a large sounder of hogs and they ran up out of the creek bottom and then back down into it. I could have seen them better if I would have been elevated. I only got two out of the 20+ by shooting through gaps in the brush.
                          Last edited by SabreKiller; 12-19-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

That KTech bulletin said the same thing that Randy posted. The lady I talked to at the dealership said she thought I might have to back up a little when going into 4 WD because she knows that it has to be done with a Polaris. .

Uh, my Polaris must be special; 1, because I've never had any major issues with it and 2, I don't have to reverse when using 4wd

My brothers Mule Pro had the same horrible clearance stock. He put a lift on it and now the thing rides like a 1980's Caddy over even the roughest terrain.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I believe you made my mind up to buy the Can Am Defender instead of the Mule.

Comment

Working...
                              X