Mississippi Kite explosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mississippi Kite explosion

Been seeing them for years but this year they are everywhere. Anyone seeing more than usual?

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
    Been seeing them for years but this year they are everywhere. Anyone seeing more than usual?
    Cold cold winter coming!!!

Comment

Grew up in Keller. 58 miles from my home in Weatherford. My whole life growing up I don't remember see any of them. In fact, I didn't even know what a Mississippi Kite was until 5 years ago when we moved into our current home. We have a ton of them around my house. I see them nearly every day. When they are here. I read recently on Wikipedia that they are migratory and go to South America in the winter. I love watching them. They are really pretty birds.

Comment

I thought Mississippi kite must be another name for a cricket cuz that’s the only thing I’ve been seeing everywhere around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't seen any in Mills county yet. They come thru every year.

Comment

Yes. More than usual in northern Wise County. Not unusual to see four or five at the same time.

Comment

I have breeding pairs in Weatherford. Three years ago it was one pair. This year I've seen maybe twenty in my neighborhood. Unless they left just recently, they're still here. I don't remember if they migrated last year. I think they were here all winter.

Comment

A whole bunch in Dallas, but I see a lot every year.

Comment

I have a buddy who works at the National Butterfly Center, west of Mission in the RGV. They’ve been seeing a bunch this year.

Never mind. They are seeing Swallow-tailed Kites.
                  Last edited by El Viejo; 08-31-2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

My favorite bird, I always look forward to seeing them circling the skies. We always have breeding pairs all around our neighborhood here in the Rendon area. I'm sure they are about to take flight south soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardcortex View Post
                      My favorite bird, I always look forward to seeing them circling the skies. We always have breeding pairs all around our neighborhood here in the Rendon area. I'm sure they are about to take flight south soon.
                      My favorite as well. I like it when they fold their wings and "sky dive". I only learned about them a few years back when we had a breeding pair in a tree above the house. We watched the baby learn to fly and develop into a juvenile. Still have them every once in a while, and I wonder if it's the same ones.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
                        I thought Mississippi kite must be another name for a cricket cuz that’s the only thing I’ve been seeing everywhere around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Everyone knows it’s another name for love bugs.

Comment

When is kite season? Are kites good to eat? Asking for a friend...

Comment

We have a pair in Flower Mound by the house and they have been feasting on the cicada explosion.

Comment

Working...
                            X