What to do with unwanted Hog meat??? Milam Co area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with unwanted Hog meat??? Milam Co area

As you can see I have plenty of hogs at my low fence property in Milam County. I shoot them as fast as I can with my bow (this part has been fun for me) but I only need one or 2 per year for meat. Is there any place to donate the meat? I called the game warden and he had no ideas. At first I had no problem letting them lie to feed the buzzards and coyotes. Now I feel I could make better use of the meat if I could find an easy way to donate. I do not have a walk in freezer to store so the option has to be within a 30 to 45 min drive from my property.

Any suggestions or am I being too sensitive about wasting hog meat?

The date is not correct on the gam cam pic. It should be 1-1-18
    Attached Files

Our game warden is new and doesn't know a whole lot. I've been trying to get him to come out for months but he's too busy.

We normally give our trapped hogs to neighbors. One processes them and gives them to other needy neighbors and the other neighbor feeds 8 kids and extended family.

Whereabouts in Milam county are you? If you are close enough I can ask one of them if he's interested in them.

Comment

How many pigs are in this picture??? Holly cow you have a problem sir! I would think there has to be something... A shelter or something that would take it.

Comment

I try to process shot hogs but I also don't waste a lot of time looking for them. I hate to say that, but it's like stomping fire ants - there's more to be killed.

Comment

I counted 74. You’re gonna need a bigger boat.

Comment

Wow ive never seen that many hogs in one trail cam picture

Comment

Break out the AR-15 on them! I'd think a handful on here would help or accept meat too.

Comment

Comment

I use to post an add on craigslist. I would have buyers lined up. All I would do was gut and pack them with Ice. $50 - $200 each in DFW and that was 10 years ago.

Comment

I counted 77

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                      I try to process shot hogs but I also don't waste a lot of time looking for them. I hate to say that, but it's like stomping fire ants - there's more to be killed.
                      Same here

Comment

I will make a suggestion for what its worth. Fence in your feeders and half of your problem will be gone.

I went thru the same deal as you. I finally penned in my feeders and now the hogs go around the perimeter and leave. You must eliminate a food source.

As far as free meat, I gave two away this year out of 21. I tried and tried to give the meat away, but unfortunately most want them processed or they wont come and get them. No one will take them for free anymore.

I truly despise hogs and never worry about the wasted meat any longer. I finally bought night vision and started working on the hogs at night and this has been more successful than trapping them.

Comment

Originally posted by dbrock63 View Post
                          As you can see I have plenty of hogs at my low fence property in Milam County. I shoot them as fast as I can with my bow (this part has been fun for me) but I only need one or 2 per year for meat. Is there any place to donate the meat? I called the game warden and he had no ideas. At first I had no problem letting them lie to feed the buzzards and coyotes. Now I feel I could make better use of the meat if I could find an easy way to donate. I do not have a walk in freezer to store so the option has to be within a 30 to 45 min drive from my property.

Any suggestions or am I being too sensitive about wasting hog meat?

The date is not correct on the gam cam pic. It should be 1-1-18
                          Wild Boar Meats in Hubbard will buy them. https://wildboarmeats.com

Sometimes when I am on property helping to thin the pigs with thermal and night vision, the landowner takes them there. I think they were getting 30 cents per pound. Let me know if you want to try that method.

Comment

I have a few guys here at work that are constantly asking/accepting hog meat. There are people out there who will graciously take the unwanted pork off your hands. If you want help I'm always willing, I used to hunt out in Milam Co in Milano.
                            I don't need the meat as I have plenty, just offering to help thin the heard without compensation.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              Wild Boar Meats in Hubbard will buy them. https://wildboarmeats.com

Sometimes when I am on property helping to thin the pigs with thermal and night vision, the landowner takes them there. I think they were getting 30 cents per pound. Let me know if you want to try that method.
                              They have a Website and how they want them brought in price change on a weekly basis.

Comment

Working...
                              X