Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Robert
Eight Point

Default 2 weeks notice or not?

Let's discuss. If you are a manager do you expect your employees to give 2 weeks notice if they are leaving? If they do will you let them work the 2 weeks? If you are a manager and you give your 2 weeks notice will your company let you work it out or will they say thanks but go ahead and leave?
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

I’ve never been able to finish when I’ve given mine. I wouldnt expect a two weeks but at least just a heads up they’re about to be gone. The company isnt gonna let you have 2 weeks notice you’re being let go
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Where I work every one that put in their notice was sent home that day .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

I've always given two weeks notice in the spirit of not burning any bridges. You just never know what the future holds. Sometimes i've worked out the two weeks, sometimes i've been told to clear out. As a manager sometimes i've let folks work out the two weeks, sometimes i've told them to clear on out. I'd judge each case based on: do you trust the person, how badly do you need the person, what damage can they do, etc., etc. Not much help i guess. Good luck.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
IvoryRoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Same here.
IvoryRoot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

I have done it both ways. Depends on company policy also. If allowed and employee was a good employee and was just trying to better him or her self, or had real family issues, then I would let them work. On the other hand if employee was a jack wad, I let them go. No matter who it was, if they had a key to the plant, the locks were changed! If management, they were lot go that day. They were also required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by White Falcon; 01-01-2018 at 11:39 AM.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Used to always be that where we work but depends on the situation nowadays. Reductions in workforce and having bare minimum staffing have changed things to where people have finished out their two weeks of they are decent employees.
fbchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
SharpStix
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gregg and Smith Counties

I think it's customary if going to work for a competitor that you're immediately relieved from your duties. That's the way it was when I was in retail management anyhow.
SharpStix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #9
bowhunterhelm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leander, my back yard

I’ve always given a two week notice. I’ve always worked the full two weeks out and never been told to leave earlier. Never burn bridges.
bowhunterhelm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #10
Toddcaster
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo State Park, Morgan Mill

I always give them 2 weeks TO notice
Toddcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
MitchParker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get an invite

In higher education, I've always given two weeks notice and always worked out the full two weeks.
MitchParker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #12
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

If you are going to get rid of an employee do you give them two weeks notice.
If they gave you the courtesy of a two week notice why wouldn't you let him work? They gave you a heads-up and didn't put you in a bind why would you want to put them in a bind

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #13
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I always went around the place singing Johnny Paycheck songs.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #14
merlin
Six Point

It depends on the job. You have to be prepared to leave when you give it. I think it is proper etiquette to give it. We have a policy: you don't give 2 week notice, not eligible for re-hire and cannot cash in vacation time
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #15
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Let's discuss. If you are a manager do you expect your employees to give 2 weeks notice if they are leaving? If they do will you let them work the 2 weeks? If you are a manager and you give your 2 weeks notice will your company let you work it out or will they say thanks but go ahead and leave?
That is why some people do not give 2 weeks notice...depends on the morality of the company
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady / Hagermann when lucky

2 week notice should be given. Right thing for both employer and employee. However, companies now seem to let folks go the same day. Though I think they still get 2 weeks pay.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
stickemhard3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mont. County and Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
Iíve always given a two week notice. Iíve always worked the full two weeks out and never been told to leave earlier. Never burn bridges.
Same here. Worked the 2 weeks after and then started the next job.

I did give a 1 week notice once and was promoted/substantial pay raise 3 days later.
stickemhard3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #18
Ryanm
Four Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches, Michigan

Depends on the situation. Giving 2 weeks notice is the right thing to do. It's up to the employer on how to proceed.

If I have someone going to a competitor, they are asked to leave immediately.

Low skill/general labor employee's are typically asked to leave as well. When someone is leaving, their productivity typically drops to next to nothing in those two weeks. There is also a risk that they will not care about quality of work since they are not committed to the company. This could ultimately cause more problems than it's worth keeping them for two weeks..
Ryanm is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #19
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Just do what is right.
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #20
txjustin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort Bend and Brazoria Counties

IMO this is a thing of the past like company loyalty.

Having said that, I think it depends on occupation and where you're going to work. If you work with confidential/proprietary information/data, don't count on them letting you work out those 2 weeks, be prepared to leave immediately.
txjustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #21
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I would give 2 weeks and be prepared to leave immediately or work it out in good faith (not ride the clock/slack at my job for 2 weeks)

As a mid manager I would not let my people go if they gave notice but HR may overrule me

Of course I can't easily fill positions in my department either, takes skills that require training that majority of candidates don't have

So 2 weeks notice or more would be appreciated by me
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #22
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

I will pay you for the two weeks, but you got to go.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #23
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

I've always given the notice. 1st company asked me to work a week or so of it to help transition some accounts to the rep that was going to cover my territory then I got paid out for the 2nd week and just didn't work.

2nd company I gave notice to got pissy that I quit for a better opportunity and I was done with them that afternoon.
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #24
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
This could be all over the place depending on the employee. It is nice if a two weeks notice is given but that is not a lot of time to rehire, train, etc anyways. Some get to stay the full two weeks if they want and others are let go that day. For your last question.....all depends on the track record. One time I put in my notice in with my VP......after 11 years with that company they gave me two months pay, my one months vacation severance, and I was allowed to keep my company car for two months. Again, track record and professionalism can speak volumes in decision making.
ByronB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #25
91cavgt
Ten Point

Every job I have left except one I gave my two week notice. The one exception is one job that I gave them my to day notice. As in, I quit today. Every job that I gave my 2 week notice let me work the last 2 weeks. One job I gave a 3 week notice and they were begging me the whole 3 weeks not to leave.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #26
Wood Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches County

As a manager I always appreciate a notice. I'm grateful for them allowing me two weeks to fill their position.
Wood Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #27
justin81
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, MN, SD

I've had it go every way as a worker.

One - Gave 2 weeks and they sent me home that day no pay.
Two - Gave 2 weeks and they sent me home that day but paid the 2 weeks out.
Three - Gave 2 weeks and they had me work and train someone for the 2 weeks.

As a manager I ask employee give 2 weeks notice and give them those two weeks off with pay. This keeps them happy and keeps them from sabotage and spreading negativity to other employees during that time.
justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #28
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comanche ,Erath,Mills

I have been involved in layoffs and no one knew till they showed up for work. I had to walk them out as soon as I told them and HR went thru the rest of the process. I really think it depends on the employee though. I have had people you wish would quit and when they gave notice you went ahead and let them go. People that have a bad attitude and want to quit can do a lot of damage to equipment or inventory if they want to. On the other hand, if it was a really good employee you may want them to finish out their notice. I would personally give a notice, but if I had an employer that I was not getting along with I might just say "See Ya".
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #29
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

I expect two weeks notice and when ever I've left a job, I've provided two weeks notice.

My company has a question on if the employee provided two weeks notice when off-boarding. If none is given, the employee is flagged for future hires.

Doesn't automatically rule them out for future jobs, but it noted and commented on in the hiring decision.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #30
brnhtown
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
I agree!! lol
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #31
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
I have done it both ways. Depends on company policy also. If allowed and employee was a good employee and was just trying to better him or her self, or had real family issues, then I would let them work. On the other hand if employee was a jack wad, I let them go. No matter who it was, if they had a key to the plant, the locks were changed! If management, they were lot go that day. They were also required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
Hope this helps.
How do you require a signed confidentiality agreement?
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #32
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post

I set the ring tone for my bosses phone number as ďTake this job and shove itĒ. Then when I went to give them my notice, I had my boss call my phone. He thought it was funny until he realized I wasnít joking. That was one job that I hated due to falsifying records.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #33
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Last place I gave two weeks notice at allowed me complete my two weeks. I'll be doing it again here shortly we'll see how it goes this time around.
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #34
PhotonSlinger
Eight Point

I just left a job that I worked at for ten years. I gave them a six week notice I was leaving. They were grateful for the notice and bitter that I was leaving. Busted my back till my last day there and they still ask me if im ready to come back. I am only on my second "career" job and by no means an expert at this but it is a matter of respect imo.
PhotonSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #35
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

"Two-week notice? I'll give them a two day notice, as in my butt will be gone to-day." Lol if you work in the chemical plant business check out the YouTube "refined" videos.
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #36
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Old Mexico

Always as a curtousy. Not doing it can bite an employee.

When an employee gives me notice, I tell them They can go ahead and start packing as a manager. Nothing good happens during that period if you retain employees typically (there are always exceptions to the rule).
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #37
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

I will always put in a notice. I think it's a respect thing for me. Both times I've left a job I gave a longer than normal notice and stayed through the whole time. For me both times were good advances in my career and my bosses understood.
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #38
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

Hunt In: old u.s.m.c. camys

I have worked for just 3 company's from 1994 seen a lot of people come and go. if the guy was good and put in the notice he stayed until the date he wanted to go. but if he did not know what was going on, had a 'I don't care, that's not my job, who me?" he was sent home that day. as a foreman, it was good that I had a heads up. sometimes it was known that quitting was on the table before it was said. I quit the last job I had after just 3 days.
bryan sandlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #39
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

We are letting a few people go this week. We carried them through the holidays, and are paying them for the entire month of January. So yes, I would hope that anyone who is leaving us would give us a 2 week notice...but a lot of companies these days that I've paid attention to, don't treat employees the same way as they use to. We have taken a hit since hurricane Harvey hit, and are having to cut the fat to get back into the black. I just hope those who we have sucked it up and helped get through the holidays will appreciate what we've done. It sure made the last 2 months rough on us as a company, but we didn't want to cause folks to have a bad Christmas
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #40
Outlaw_6
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LA and "The H"

I have always given two weeks notice. To me itís common courtesy, but I have absolutely no expectation of being given a notice from an employer.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #41
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any place I can.

The few times I have resigned from jobs I always have given a two week notice, and have been fortunate enough my past bosses understood and asked me to finish those two weeks. I always have. As a manager I expect a two week notice and expect said employee to finish those two weeks or have pay adjusted accordingly. Where I currently work we have a significant separation process if you wish to receive any due benefits.
bassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #42
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

All depends on the company or person I work for. If I respect them and they seem to respect me then yes, I would give notice as I have in the past.
If the opposit is true then I will leave when I need to.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #43
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Trade secrets and processes.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #44
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

In my youth I worked road jobs. Operators came and went, and nobody expected, nor did they get, any notice whatsoever. But......you could get another job on the way home if you were a hand. Times change, good jobs are harder to come by, and some kind of notice should be given unless there are extenuated circumstances. That said, I've never worked my two week notice because in the oilfield, most companies just want you gone if you're going. They're not afraid you'll steal their "trade secrets", just their customers
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #45
White Falcon
Pope & Young

You got that x10 !
Old 01-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #46
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Only notice is a to-day notice.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #47
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

Im sure it depends on the field and company size. If I worked for a big CORP, I would give 2 weeks and walk. My current job, where I have been at for 15 years, I would probably give a 1 month notice if possible. When the people you work with rely on you for a job, screwing them over isn't something I care to do.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #48
Robert
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
Only notice is a to-day notice.
Ahhhh.... to be back pipelining.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 05:19 PM   #49
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

If you want to go back to work for the company I would provide a notice.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #50
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

A 2-week notice is a courtesy to your employer. Unfortunately, it is not a courtesy that will be extended to employees in most cases.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top