Laptop Recommendations Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop Recommendations Needed

I am in the market for a new laptop and prefer a 2 in 1 so it can be used as a tablet too. It will primarily be used for school, but this will also need to take the place of my everyday PC. I am leaning towards a Microsoft Surface, but there are several other options that look good for a little less money. There are also several different configurations for the Surface that I am not sure which to go with. It seems that the Intel Core i7 is the latest and greatest processor, but it comes with a hefty price. I would like to keep the price around $1k, but could maybe go as high as $1500 for the right one. I can get the Surface Pro bundle with the i5 processor and 4GB memory and 128GB SSD for $1100. I am sure it would do what I need for now, but I want to ensure I buy something that will last me for several years without upgrading.

Any suggestions on what to look for or particular machines that you can recommend?

Thanks,
    Brandon

I bought a Dell 7100 Series gaming laptop recently

Somewhat disappointed
    In it thus far

It has hdmi out with its own dedicated graphics card

SSD OS hard drive for fast boot and speed

1TB sata 2nd drive for file storage

If I had to do it all over again I would invest in the surface pro 4

You pay a higher price for larger SSD OS drive

And store most of your files in a cloud storage arrangement using Microsoft onedrive

If you want a laptop and a tablet

Surface pro is your only real choice

Apple IPad Air 2 are still available at a fair price

Ballpark $400

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lenovo. 3 yeah on mine, in sand and thrown around in backpacks, bumped into, updated,gotten wet, and still going strong and fast.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        Lenovo. 3 yeah on mine, in sand and thrown around in backpacks, bumped into, updated,gotten wet, and still going strong and fast.
        I've always heard good things about Lenovo, but have never owned one. I will look into them.

Comment

My daughter in law works for Dell Corporate. Unless you are buying commercial grade- stay away from Dell!!! Warranty and customer service suck. Even my daughter in law couldn't help me out. Just thinking of the 6 month ordeal over a year ago still makes my blood pressure rise.

I have an HP now with no complaints.

Comment

I found out opening weekend that WIN 8/10 doesn’t have a media player to play movies in the DVD drive that is in the laptop... Had to download a third party freebie last night so I can watch a dang movie at the lease...
            But it works now. Loaded vlc and so far so good

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
              I found out opening weekend that WIN 8/10 doesn’t have a media player to play movies in the DVD drive that is in the laptop... Had to download a third party freebie last night so I can watch a dang movie at the lease...
              My biggest obstacle will be going to a newer version Windows. I've updated my current laptop a couple years ago, but made sure to reload Windows 7.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Surface pro! I love mine and am currently using it in the deer blind right now. Best purchase I have ever made on a piece of technology. It travels in the truck and everywhere with me. Has a great battery life and has worked for me. Had it for four months and I will never buy another Ipad again!

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                      VLC is the only media player worth having.

Comment

Originally posted by RyHolub View Post
                        Surface pro! I love mine and am currently using it in the deer blind right now. Best purchase I have ever made on a piece of technology. It travels in the truck and everywhere with me. Has a great battery life and has worked for me. Had it for four months and I will never buy another Ipad again!
                        What configuration do you have? The possibilities seem endless and I don't want to regret not going bigger/faster, but have to keep budget in mind.

Comment

If you truly are using this for school and need something dependable, get a MacBook Pro. You can have all the windows compatibility your heart desires. If you have a student email, you can get the Microsoft suite for free. Your going to pay a bit more but you will have a machine that lasts and fires up every time like the first day you bought it. Microsoft surface pro is ok, have one of those too and it doesn’t work that great. It’s ok at best. You will be very disappointed if you don’t buy the Mac. If you want a tablet, then buy a tablet. I promise you

Comment

Working...
                          X