Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.22 Hornet for deer hunting? What do y'all think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.22 Hornet for deer hunting? What do y'all think?

I am thinking about letting my 10 year old daughter deer hunt this year. She is a little small for her age, so a big deer rifle is not an option. Without going to buy a new rifle, I only have two options: open sight AR in .223 or my dad's H&R single shot .22 Hornet with a red dot scope. I know both are probably not ideal, but will get the job done if placed accurately. She is very accurate with her .22 LR open sights right now. I would prefer something bigger, but a new gun is not an option at this point. Any thoughts from the GS?

Oh good lord!!! Atleast get her a .223. A 30-30 with managed recoil would be even better. Ruger loads their compact rifle in 7.62X39 and Federal has 125 soft points for it. Tad more thump at 100 yards than a 125 30-30 and barely more kick than a 223. .22 Hornets and such are for veteran hunters at the least.

If no options but the twp you mentioned, 223 with the proper bullet hands down.

Comment

I have killed several deer with a 22hornet.

Comment

Yeah-what I figured. I know a lot of deer have been killed with the Hornet, but I'm very uneasy about letting her shoot it at an animal. If she weren't so small, I'd have plenty of rifle options for her from .308, 30-30, etc. The problem is shouldering it and reaching the trigger

Comment

Shot my first deer with one when I was 5 years old.

Comment

I know of many deer killed with a .22 Hornet. If you get her a gun she is scared of this early, what good is it to her? Let her shoot it and see how she does. If she is accurate and confident enough, give her a chance with it!!

Comment

My nephew shot his first deer with an at in 223 last year. Good bullet no prob. Try the Barnes triple shock

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post
                I have killed several deer with a 22hornet.
                Originally posted by Rangefinder View Post
                Shot my first deer with one when I was 5 years old.
                I killed a 385 lb boar (on the scales) with a 22LR. On burr of the ear shot at 40 yards. If she is off just a tad on a deer with that hornet and looses a deer, how ya'll reckon that will affect her?

Comment

Originally posted by sunsethunter View Post
                  Yeah-what I figured. I know a lot of deer have been killed with the Hornet, but I'm very uneasy about letting her shoot it at an animal. If she weren't so small, I'd have plenty of rifle options for her from .308, 30-30, etc. The problem is shouldering it and reaching the trigger
                  Only if its in your budget. Now or in the future. Check out that little Ruger bolt action i was talkin about. It was loaded in 6.8 Spc. Now its 7.62X39, i was disappointed at 1st. Till i looked up hunting bullets for it. A few emails to Chuck Hawkes. And basically you end up with 30-30 power and just a bump over 223 recoil. My little girl is tiny too.

Comment

How would she feel if she wounded a deer and didn't recover it? I wouldn't put her in a situation that might turn her off to hunting by under-gunning her. And, IMO, a 10-year old is on the young side, but again, that is JMO. Ever think about letting her wait a year or two until you can get a more appropriate caliber or she can handle a bigger one?

Yes, tons of deer killed every year with the .223, but it's all about bullet placement.

Comment

I agree with Ragin but a Hornet is the only deer rifle I shot growing up and I never had to look for a deer with a good ole neck shot. Unless you know that she will be able to hit her mark with it I think I would try and get her a little bigger caliber JMO not nockin the Hornet I still have one and have killed many animals with it but I would def let her shoot it several times and teach her shot placement...

Comment

Just for window shoppin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348876492.855078.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	24121534

Comment

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it illegal to shoot a deer with a rim fire?

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett-TX View Post
                            .22 Hornet is centerfire

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett-TX View Post
                              Yes but a Hornet is center fire.

Comment

Working...
                              X