The American dollar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The American dollar!

OK guys, my wife thinks I'm crazy. There are many reasons she believes so, but among the latest is I have an increasing concern about the future of the American dollar. I'm thinking heavily about investing in some tangible assets. One of these is gold and silver.
    So how many of you guys own gold and silver, if so what are your reasons? How many of you guys do not own golden silver, and if so what are your reasons?
    Thanks!

I have bought some silver in the past (can't afford to buy gold). DOn't have a lot but some.

My reasoning was to have it in the safe "just in case" I needed it for currency IF something should happen.

Comment

I buy gold and silver every year from Texas Precious Metals mostly because of the cool things they put on their coins that represent Texas but also because if things go to pot (as I think they might) gold and silver will have value.

Comment

i think your wife is right.

Comment

The American dollar!

I bought gold coins several years back. Now they are worth about half of what I paid for them. In my opinion metals are a poor investment. Essentially they're a hedge against the dollar. I wouldn't consider them an profit generating asset; more like an insurance policy that will lose its value until it's needed. I guessing that's what your intention is anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gold and silver will always be worth something. The dollar isn't worth the paper it's printed on. My 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
              OK guys, my wife thinks I'm crazy. There are many reasons she believes so, but among the latest is I have an increasing concern about the future of the American dollar. I'm thinking heavily about investing in some tangible assets. One of these is gold and silver.
              So how many of you guys own gold and silver, if so what are your reasons? How many of you guys do not own golden silver, and if so what are your reasons?
              Thanks!
              Here's my take. We (along with all countries) will continue to print money. Inflation will increase above average here for a while. Gold/silver will never be great investments is my guess. I do own a few 100oz silver bars though.

IF America currency goes plop so bad you NEED silver or gold then the entire world is plain screwed. In that case your silver won't do you much good anyway.

A better way to keep up with inflation IMO is a good mix of stock index funds and real estate. If you don't want to(or have the time) own rental property then buy ag exempt land. Land should keep up with inflation much better than cash in the bank.

Comment

If things get that bad, ammo will be more valuable than gold or silver. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  Here's my take. We (along with all countries) will continue to print money. Inflation will increase above average here for a while. Gold/silver will never be great investments is my guess. I do own a few 100oz silver bars though.

IF America currency goes plop so bad you NEED silver or gold then the entire world is plain screwed. In that case your silver won't do you much good anyway.

A better way to keep up with inflation IMO is a good mix of stock index funds and real estate. If you don't want to(or have the time) own rental property then buy ag exempt land. Land should keep up with inflation much better than cash in the bank.
                  Exactly my thoughts commodities like gold and silver aren't a very good investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                    i think your wife is right.
                    I expected this.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

I'm assuming there is a good source out there on the Internet for ag exemption qualifications?

Comment

Originally posted by Pennington13 View Post
                        Exactly my thoughts commodities like gold and silver aren't a very good investment.
                        Rental prop is one of the other tangible assets I was referencing.

Comment

I'm assuming there is a good source out there on the Internet for ag exemption qualifications?
                          If you buy land just make sure with the County it's already Ag exempt.

Comment

You are correct. Ag and wildlife exemption info is online. There are even some companies that will help you obtain your wildlife exemption. My buddy used one to get a wildlife exemption for native birds on his property.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                              If things get that bad, ammo will be more valuable than gold or silver. Just sayin'.
                              I think you are right

Comment

Working...
                              X