New approach to massive COON PROBLEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New approach to massive COON PROBLEM

My lease is in Terrell County south of Dryden. For the first year of feeding protein, the game cameras showed very few coons and all was rolling well. We could see a difference in amount of deer and antler size quick and that really pushed us to continue our feeding program.
    This past summer the coons found us and moved in thick. When I hunted a few weeks ago, I watched a group of 8 coons arrive at the feeder at noon and stay until dark, the whole time pouring out pounds and pounds of feed on the ground. Seems one of the coons climbs up and sits on the feeder tube and scoops out feed on the ground for the rest of the group. I really enjoy feeding out there and I usually feed around 12 tons per year, but want the feed to go to the deer and not the coons. Too far to trap and have considered poison, but don't really like that idea. Came across CoonHoods online and spoke with the owner. He is building me a custom set of Coonhoods for my homemade protein feeder. They are spring-loaded and close when the coon either grabs them from the bottom or pushes down on them from the top. I will install them when we go refill in February and anxious to see what the game cameras show once they are on the feeder. Hopefully they will still allow 24-7 feeding, but now only by the deer. Time will tell and I will post pics as this experiment develops.

My feeder:

Coonhoods:

How do they open back up?

Comment

That is the neatest invention ever

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
        How do they open back up?
        I'm guessing it's spring loaded

Comment

It's spring loaded. Here is a video they had on their website. It's what sold me to give them a try.

COONHOOD'S DEBUT VIDEO. Finally a varmint guard designed specifically for protein feeders. Save feed, save money, manage your wildlife operation more efficie...

Comment

Very cool! Now they just need to do a spellcheck on "protein".

Comment

You should seriously invest in some coon cuffs. Those things work really really well.

Comment

At 3:45 in the video is where it shows the coons attempting to defeat the CoonHood....

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                  You should seriously invest in some coon cuffs. Those things work really really well.
                  We only go out an fill every 70 days....trapping not a viable option with that schedule .

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
                    Very cool! Now they just need to do a spellcheck on "protein".
                    Not once, but twice...

Comment

They work very well! I bought a set for my TWS 3000lb feeder and haven't had a coon get on top of the feed port since I installed them. A lease member saw what I had and he ordered him a set.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                        It's spring loaded. Here is a video they had on their website. It's what sold me to give them a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DBbsoDIL_Q
                        I was really excited about this invention until I learned those fools at CoonHood published the schematics on the internet. Won't be long 'til it's permanently defeated!

Comment

How much do they cost? I have a texas hunter ez fill, and they stand on the ground and can barely reach the feed.

Comment

That's a very cool concept and it will work BUT that sheet metal those thing are made of wouldn't not last on our place.. We have a few VERY big, strong, and destructive coons that would eventually get frustrated and destroy that hood..

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              I was really excited about this invention until I learned those fools at CoonHood published the schematics on the internet. Won't be long 'til it's permanently defeated!

HAHA is this the coon researching how to beat it? CLassic!!

Comment

Working...
                              X