Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    I have a friend with a big high fence ranch. One pasture has a nice herd of elk and he started selling a few cow hunts to control his numbers and let folks get a meat elk. Anyway, a guy I know booked a cow hunt for his 11year old daughter. My friend hauled them out in his highrack truck and found a big cow. He told her to shoot her when she turned.. Immediately the kid shot bt the cow was still standing there looking. My friend told her she missed and to bolt another in and wait for the cow to turn broadside. The kid says," I killed him!" Sure enough, there was another elk he couldn't see from the drivers seat and she had killed a 440 class bull elk!

He was a good sport about it and let her keep the elk as he figured it was his fault and throwing a fit wouldn't bring the elk back to life.
    Don't think I would have let that one go. 11 yrs old is mature/knowledgable enough to know how to tell a female from a male. Daddy would have been paying for that bull. Sounds like the girl thought she would not get in trouble since she was there for a cow hunt and knew she was killing a bull when she shot.

Comment

Originally posted by dbrock63 View Post
      A lease member brought a friend that never deer hunted to shoot a doe. Each member got to shoot 1 doe and 1 buck. He took his friend and set him up at a stand with a lever action 30-30 and 5 bullets and told him he could only shoot a doe (NO HORNS). They heard 5 shots from the area the friend was set up so they went to pick him up and see what happen. They pulled up to him just smiling ear to ear with 5 dead deer (4 doe and 1 yearling buck) laid out. Asked "Why in the hell did you shoot 5 deer?" Because i ran out of bullets or i could of got 1 or 2 more was his response.
      This made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
        Don't think I would have let that one go. 11 yrs old is mature/knowledgable enough to know how to tell a female from a male. Daddy would have been paying for that bull. Sounds like the girl thought she would not get in trouble since she was there for a cow hunt and knew she was killing a bull when she shot.
        Yeah....and the kids dad was sitting right beside her.

Comment

Gotta subscribe to this one

Comment

It just amazes me how some of the people in these stories just did their own thing after being told not to. I would NEVER even think about shooting something I was told not to shoot.

Comment

About 15 yrs ago I worked with an older guy that had been saving his pennies to go on a south Texas deer hunt. Finally he booked a hunt with a ranch.

When he arrived at the ranch there were 8-10 other hunters there. They were schooled on what to shoot and told the rules. The next morning all the hunters were loaded in a suburban and carried to their stands. My co-worker was the last dropped off.

The first morning he saw a lot of deer but nothing that he wanted to shoot. By 2pm no one had come to pick him up for lunch. That evening he never saw a shooter. At 9pm he realized that they had forgotten him. He had no idea how to get back to camp so he stayed in the blind.

Luckily he had 2 bottles of water a several beef jerky sticks in his pack. The following afternoon at 4pm he shot a big 10 point. Very soon after the shot, the very embarrassed guide and the manager pulled up. Yep! They had so many hunters they forgot one!

He hunted for free the next year!

Comment

Great stories guys.

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
                  I’ve got a doozy…. I took a friend hunting out at my lease. We had hunted the weekend and had hard luck, the deer weren’t moving much.

So on the last hunt (Sunday morning) I put him in a box blind with a rifle and I go sit in a bow stand. The place we are hunting has limited cellphone service so we had walkie-talkies.
                  Fast forward to the hunt…I do not see anything come in worth shooting so I just enjoy the hunt. About sunrise I hear a gun shot in his direction. I contemplate calling him on the walkie-talkie, but I realize I left mine in the truck. I finished up my hunt, get out of my stand, get in my truck and head his way.

As I approach the area where he is hunting I see him walking towards me with a scowl on his face kicking rocks as he is walking my way. I pull up and ask what’s up and he replies “nothing dude, you screwed me over….”. I am baffled, and ask what is going on and he replies “I had a deer under my feeder and you screwed me over by hitting the call button on the walkie-talkie and scaring it off, I took a running shot at it was running off, but I missed”….. I ask if we should just go take a quick look for blood and he stops me short and assures me that he missed. Not wanting to be a jerk I took his word for it and we headed back to camp.

So, I am kind of perplexed that he blamed me for ruining his hunt when I didn’t even have my walkie-talkie with me, but I blow it off and give him the benefit of the doubt that he was just ****** because he missed a deer. I didn’t tell him I didn’t have the walkie-talkie with me.

Anyway this dude continues to pity-pout the entire time we are cleaning up camp and packing, and saying things like “it’s gonna be a while until I come out here again…” and basically saying derogatory comments like his weekends are wasted by coming out to hunt at my lease as my guest. At this point I am getting pretty heated, but trying to keep my cool and keep the peace with him. So, being Mr. Nice and trying to lighten up the moment and be a good sport I tell him, hey, since that walkie-talkie screwed you over, do you want to shoot it with your shotgun? Like a 6-year old he gives an ecstatic “Yes” and blows the walkie-talkie into 1,000,000 pieces.

So this whole time I keep second guessing what went on and get a feeling that we need to go and double check for blood. On the drive out I tell him that I am sorry got being OCD, but I want to go make a pass around the feeder and make sure 100% he missed…..so he gives me this look like I am a jerk for second guessing him….but we head towards the spot he was hunting.

I walk up to the feeder and make a 10’ perimeter sweep around the feeder and immediately find blood. At this point I am about to lose it. Anyways, we follow a massive blood trail and find this guy’s deer about 40-50 yards away. It was a doe. NOW, you would think this dude would be remorseful, embarrassed, and ashamed about his behavior and how he was acting….well guess again. The dude acts like nothing happened and is ecstatic about his kill.

I am so mad I can barely think straight. The guy has the guts to ask for me to take pictures and to top it off the dude can’t clean a deer so I do it for him. I was so mad I didn’t know how to react, but gave him a stern lecture about what he did…but it didn’t seem to sink in to him.

It was a really weird deal. I like the guy a lot, but the whole situation really made me question his character. We are still friends but that whole situation really jaded the way I think of him. The funniest/most mind-boggling thing is that he still doesn't have any self-realization to understand what he did and he TO-THIS-DAY brags about the great shot he made on that "running deer".
                  Well let me know if you need a new buddy!!!:thumbup:

Comment

Originally posted by Baygall View Post
                    About 15 yrs ago I worked with an older guy that had been saving his pennies to go on a south Texas deer hunt. Finally he booked a hunt with a ranch.

When he arrived at the ranch there were 8-10 other hunters there. They were schooled on what to shoot and told the rules. The next morning all the hunters were loaded in a suburban and carried to their stands. My co-worker was the last dropped off.

The first morning he saw a lot of deer but nothing that he wanted to shoot. By 2pm no one had come to pick him up for lunch. That evening he never saw a shooter. At 9pm he realized that they had forgotten him. He had no idea how to get back to camp so he stayed in the blind.

Luckily he had 2 bottles of water a several beef jerky sticks in his pack. The following afternoon at 4pm he shot a big 10 point. Very soon after the shot, the very embarrassed guide and the manager pulled up. Yep! They had so many hunters they forgot one!

He hunted for free the next year!
                    Hope he shot an even bigger deer that next year

Atleast the choice to sit all day was made for him

Comment

In 1989 I was guiding/hunting on a ranch north of Burnet(14,000 acres).I was ask to help guide a big corporate group from Houston and do some skinning. I could also do a little hunting. This particular ranch had a good population of aoudad sheep and some good ones too. This is what I would be after. We'll the corporate big wig great white hunters showed up that night from Houston. We where setting around the lodge talking about different animals and watching a Mike Tyson fight when aoudad sheep came up. Well one of the big wigs just had to shoot a big one. That's all he talked about for the next day and a half. Finally the ranch owner ask me to put him on some sheep as he was a very good customer in the corporate world. So I did. This guy shot a 35" sheep(Biggest I've personally seen to this day). A monster. We load him up and head in. I'm dumbfounded at his size. We'll we get there(skinning area)it's dark and the celebration begins at the skinning rack. Back slaps,high fives you name it. The ranch owner is extatic. He is more excited than the hunter. He keeps going on and on about how big he is and that he has to be a record.
                      The rancher looks at him and asks "how are you going to have him mounted? Life size or shoulder mount?" And the hunter replies "I'm not going to have that nasty stinking thing mounted. We can throw him away for all I care" :0 !!!
                      Wrong thing to say!!!!
                      It got ugly quick after that and he was ordered to pack his stuff and leave the ranch now,as in like yesterday now..and to NEVER come back.And he did.
                      All these years later it still blows my mind at how clueless this guy was!!!
                      Last edited by PondPopper; 11-16-2013, 02:07 AM.

Comment

That video is freakin' hilarious! I saw it a few yrs ago and fell out laughing. The dude walking back to the truck is the best part LOL!

Comment

A few years ago I was a guest on a ranch that one of our tooling vendors had just bought. They had three of us from work come out to help with the culling off of deer before they started restocking it with trophy animals. The rules were to take a mature whitetail or axis doe each and any hogs/predators. We were told that doe with tags were fair game and were the oldest deer on the place. I was the only one who brought a bow. Everyone else brought rifles. There were three or four other customers there along with the three of us. With me being the odd man out they take me and drop me off first to the only stand with a bow blind. Because I was dropped off first and early I missed the "exception" comment about doe with tag #101 was off limits being the ranch pet. Well you see where this is going.......feeder goes off and deer come flooding in. Some amazing young bucks and even some axis about 30yds behind the feeder. I've got my video up and running waiting yor the axis to commit when this big beautiful doe without babies steps into my video frame at 15yds. I decided why not. I absolutely hammered her and got amazing footage of her gushing blood and going down on video. Was a thing of beauty. I stayed put waiting to be picked up and even managed to hammer a pig right at last light. The guide had picked up all the hunters before he got to me. I had the pig and doe there with me when he got there. He saw #101 there about the same time my co workers did and they all look up at me with this WTH? face. I'm on cloud nine and oblivious to the incriminating stares when one of the other guests says......."he wasn't there for the warning not to shoot her". The guide has a laugh says oh well and we loaded up and went to camp. The new owners were present and they held no hard feelings. They even watched the video.
                          Last edited by chrisgunguy; 11-16-2013, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Keep em comin

Comment

"Integrity means doing the right thing, even when no one is watching."

There's nothing wrong with an *honest* mistake, we've all been there. But some of these stories of intentional and selfish rule breaking blow my mind. This is why we are careful who we invite out to the property. Excellent thread fellas.

Comment

I no longer hunt with a friend of mine because he never adheres to gun safety and the last time we went out we had an agreement. We had one gun between us and the rule was whoever saw the deer first got to shoot. Well, he was carrying the gun. I saw the deer and pointed it out. He said where. I said there. Gun comes up, deer in scope, boom!! To make it worse, he rushed the shot and missed he deer. I walked to the car and went home.

Comment

Working...
                                X