Do i need a heaver draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do i need a heaver draw weight

I have a feeling that i need a 60+lb bow for an Elk hunt I'm thinking 65# wouldn't hurt. Currently i shoot 55#
    you guys that have shot big animals please give me some spec's i should use as far as arrow weight and draw weight.

The bison in my avatar was taken with my Massie Longhorn, 57# at my 28" draw using 620 grain arrows with a 160 grain 2 blade Magnus broadhead. On the same trip my buddy took one using a Blackwidow recurve, 54# at his 28"draw, using 600 grain arrows with a 2 blade 125 grain Magnus Stinger. Both of these bison weighed about 900 pounds. I have taken Black wildebeest and Gemsbok (as well as smaller African species) with that Massie using a 625 grain arrow with 125 grain 4 blade Magnus Stingers.

I have also taken Blue Wildebeest, Kudu, and Waterbuck with a 55# Massie Longhorn with 600 grain arrows with a 2 blade Magus. I am a believer in heavy arrows, all my hunting set-ups are tuned with arrows that are around 11 grains per pound of draw weight.

I'd say that your 55# bow with arrows around 600 grains with a razor sharp broadhead would do the trick on elk. But, if you can shoot a 60 or 65# bow as well as you can your 55#, that is even better.
    Last edited by Phillip Fields; 11-21-2014, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I know a few guys that take Elk every year in Washington with 45-50lb longbows or recurves. Which we have the Big Rosie's. I had a 63lb recurve till I gave in to the arrow playing a bigger part. With that said though my next bow I'm going back to 55-60 just so I'm 100% confident I can kill anything in North America. I use 12.9gpi carbons with 175 up front or I now use Doug fir with 185 up front. Hopefully gonna use both on hogs this weekend.

Comment

Fred Eichler took the North American Grand Slam with a 53# Palmer.

Here is a video of a Waterbuck I took, also at 53#. They are close in size to an elk. Penetrated about 6" out the opposite side.

Comment

The answer is NO!

You don't need it. There have been a gazillion elk killed with 50#. I killed a nearly 700# kudu a nd several other big critters in Africa with 50#. Make sure your arrows are well tuned and heavy, and put the arrow in the right place, and you will be just fine with 55#.

Bisch

Comment

Common misconception among bowhunters. Otoh, a long shot does require less pinpoint accuracy, and for sure on a moving animal, it helps.

But I have a friend in Las Vegas (owner of Pacific Archery), who killed a 350+ brute in Oregon four years ago. His weapon was a Z7 set at 48#. Pass-through with the bull running about 50 yds. after having been shot at 45 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by bubinga View Post
              Fred Eichler took the North American Grand Slam with a 53# Palmer.

Here is a video of a Waterbuck I took, also at 53#. They are close in size to an elk. Penetrated about 6" out the opposite side.

http://youtu.be/ibMm-lKrSCA
              That dude tried hard to duck that arrow!! Where were you aiming to get such a solid hit on him??

Comment

So...... ya'll are saying 55# is plenty
                I was pretty sure that it was but doubt kept creeping up in my mind.
                I'll get my arrows up to 600-700 and some good BH and worry more about practice.

I really appreciate the input fella's. It has put my mind at ease

Comment

I am in the camp of - shoot as heavy as you comfortably can, and would agree that 55# is likely more than enough.

Comfort comes at different levels for different folks.

Well tuned rigs, ability in shooting, knowing your limitations, and confidence are the key factors in being successful.

Ken Beck with Blackwidow shoots 43# (or low 40 something for sure). and he kills elk every year.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                    That dude tried hard to duck that arrow!! Where were you aiming to get such a solid hit on him??
                    Just below the heart. PH said to aim low, but I didn't think he would duck quite that much.

Comment

The last Elk I killed using a 53# Longbow @ 26" draw, 515 grain arrow with a 135 gr. (I think) Zwickey Delta broadhead. Complete penetration and only went about 15 yards.

Like the rest have said, 55# is plenty.

JC

Comment

Just below the heart. PH said to aim low, but I didn't think he would duck quite that much.
                        Great job man! It always amazes me when an animal that big can do something like that.

Comment

I think the idea of needing heavy draw weight started way back with Saxton Pope and Art Young. They were shooting 60-70lbs longbows but no one seems to care that they were killing deer at over 100 yards too. I think it was Young that killed a mountain goat at 125 yards. That's why they needed all that weight. On iBooks they have a free book of Pope's that tells all about it.

Comment

A 55 Lb. bow will kill anything in the USA. Just make sure that it is shooting straight and you will be fine. Get a cut on impact broad head and it will do the job. Another important point is your placing of the arrow in the lungs or heart area. If you do your part the bow and arrow will do their parts.

Comment

Excellent shot man. What was the distance? Felt like 20+

Comment

Working...
                              X