Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
bucknuts
Six Point

Default Matador wma

Tell me about the place.....Got Drawn for archery hunt.
bucknuts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
southsider
Four Point

Hotter than hell need a 60,70, and 80 yard pin.
Throw the 20 away see you there
southsider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
TCodyAg
Six Point

Hunt In: St. Hedwig

Congrats! Hopefully I'll get lucky on the second draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TCodyAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #4
bucknuts
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsider View Post
Hotter than hell need a 60,70, and 80 yard pin.
Throw the 20 away see you there
****.... i shoot a recurve
Old 08-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
niceg3s
Ten Point

Hunt In: Own property in Smith/Cherokee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts View Post
****.... i shoot a recurve
find water, hunt water
niceg3s is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I did it in 2013. Windy as heck. No one killed one. You need a 4 wheel drive to get into some places in the western units.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
bucknuts
Six Point

ttt
Old 08-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
cleanair0
Four Point

Default Matador

Quote:
Tell me about the place.....Got Drawn for archery hunt.
I'm guessing by your posting date you were selected for the Archery Mule Deer Hunt vs Archery Deer.

I've only hunted there once in 2014 for antlerless/spike whitetail (GDA). Saw tons of mule deer (does and bucks). Shot a big hog and two whitetail does on that hunt plus 3 coyotes.

Weather can change fast at the time of year we were there (mid Nov.) and we had snow come in the last day there.

If you look at the map for Matador in the Annual Public Hunt Booklet (online at TPWD) that will show you the campgrounds and areas on the WMA. We were hunting the Lone Canyon area and I was on a high bluff overlooking the Pease River.

We had a great hunt. We stayed at the primitive campgrounds available for hunters. They allow gathering of firewood on the WMA.

Good luck!
cleanair0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
bucknuts
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanair0 View Post
I'm guessing by your posting date you were selected for the Archery Mule Deer Hunt vs Archery Deer.

I've only hunted there once in 2014 for antlerless/spike whitetail (GDA). Saw tons of mule deer (does and bucks). Shot a big hog and two whitetail does on that hunt plus 3 coyotes.

Weather can change fast at the time of year we were there (mid Nov.) and we had snow come in the last day there.

If you look at the map for Matador in the Annual Public Hunt Booklet (online at TPWD) that will show you the campgrounds and areas on the WMA. We were hunting the Lone Canyon area and I was on a high bluff overlooking the Pease River.

We had a great hunt. We stayed at the primitive campgrounds available for hunters. They allow gathering of firewood on the WMA.

Good luck!

Yes i was selected for the mule deer hunt. Lucky dog. Been trying to get drawn for years. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
bucknuts
Six Point

ttt
Old 08-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #11
bucknuts
Six Point

ttt
Old 08-31-2016, 07:32 PM   #12
bucknuts
Six Point

ttt
Old 09-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
southsider
Four Point

Killing a respectable Mule in October, at Matador, with a recurve...mmmm...I would say would put you in elite company except for the fact that you would be all alone.

Beautiful country..mild camping weather and 10 weeks of vacation I have to use by next September, that's my motivation.

A WT doe is better than 50/50 if you hunt all week.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #14
bucknuts
Six Point

Quote:
Killing a respectable Mule in October, at Matador, with a recurve...mmmm...I would say would put you in elite company except for the fact that you would be all alone.

Beautiful country..mild camping weather and 10 weeks of vacation I have to use by next September, that's my motivation.

A WT doe is better than 50/50 if you hunt all week.
Yea it sounds impossible i know. Iv'e been told to get a crossbow. LOL I'm not going to sell out on a dream. It will be fun regardless of a kill or not. I'm just wondering if you can hunt the water tanks or not. I have been hunting pine thickets for the last 5 years. This is going to be a hell of a challenge.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #15
bucknuts
Six Point

ttt
Old 09-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #16
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Will be fun regardless!
KactusKiller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #17
ttu1997
Six Point

Hunt In: In your stand when you are gone

Hunted gun whitetail 2 nd season in 2014. I asked about the bowhunting results and the biologist said bowhunting there is very challenging with little to no success.

While I hunted I walked up on 3-4 mule deer does, never saw a Mule deer buck. The pasture I was in was thick along the river then opened up to open grassing plain. I would get on a high point over looking the draws leading to water and this is where I saw most of the deer.

They have plenty of water scattered around so stake out these spots and the trails leading to water.
Watch out for snakes the grass can be waist high. Wear good walking boots and dress in layers. The wind will blow. The pasture I hunted didn't have much access via truck so I walked several miles to get to where I wanted to hunt.
Walking out in the dark through waist high grass with the air temps warm enough for snakes will make your butt pucker.
Saw hogs, coyotes, badger, wild cattle, mule deer, whitetail and quail. Beautiful country. Good luck.
ttu1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #18
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

Killing a nice muledeer with a recurve or longbow at Matador is not impossible! U just have to know the area and put in some time behind the field glasses and wear out some shoe leather!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #19
Hi-Lonesome
Four Point

Hunt In: TX Panhandle

I was drawn for the Archery Whitetail hunt at Matador WMA. It will be a big difference from hunting timber but the deer are there and the possibility is always there.

I am used to hunting the llano estacado further north and west. Post up on a hill side but dont sky line yourself and glass for movement or potential feeding and bedding areas. You may notice a pattern of movement in which you can set up an ambush. My plan is to hunt in a blinded position mornings and evenings. Will be on a constant move for the mid day times. From my experiences in the panhandle the Mule deer are going to be easier than whitetail to hunt. They seem to be harder to find sometimes though. Good luck out there!
Hi-Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #20
bucknuts
Six Point

Awesome....now i'm getting some sweet info. Sounding like its going to be rad. Thanks !
Old 09-07-2016, 01:13 AM   #21
bucknuts
Six Point

ttt for the friends that have been...i mean i get it , dry, snakes, mild chance of a recurve kill. Hunt the water. Glass without being skylined. Get a crossbow.... not. lol tell me something i don't already know.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #22
Hi-Lonesome
Four Point

Hunt In: TX Panhandle

This area has getting quite a bit of rain lately so it should be a lot greener with watering areas present everywhere. You will need something for the mosquitoes for sure.
Hi-Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #23
southsider
Four Point

Quote:
ttt for the friends that have been...i mean i get it , dry, snakes, mild chance of a recurve kill. Hunt the water. Glass without being skylined. Get a crossbow.... not. lol tell me something i don't already know.
Your hunting with a recurve for Christ sake..what could we possibly tell you...

There are deer everywhere..now go kill one!!! lol
Old 09-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #24
Dirtfish
Four Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

hunt lone canyon it has alot of draws you can hunt.
Dirtfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #25
bucknuts
Six Point

Quote:
Your hunting with a recurve for Christ sake..what could we possibly tell you...

There are deer everywhere..now go kill one!!! lol
lolololol
Old 09-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #26
Deerguy
Eight Point

Hunted there many times, especially back when it was APH. Mule deer in all compartments, but I like the far southwest pasture (West Aermotor), seems to have more MD than WTD. There is a large draw that goes through the pasture (can't miss it, only 1 there), the east side being more open. If you sit on the west side and glass, you'll most likely see several deer in the openings across the draw (morning sun shining off the deer makes them easy to spot). Watch for the bucks to bed mid-morning and go after 'em. Plus, if your glassing spot is fairly well concealed, you have a chance of one coming by. All of this said, I've never killed one there. Missed one, got busted on another close chance. Got within bow range of another mid 130's 5X5 MD, but on WTD hunt at the time. Never had any luck at watering holes there (water isn't really scarce). Many mule deer stick around at the campground, might be good in adjoining pastures as well, but never tried there.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #27
bucknuts
Six Point

cool thanks
Old 10-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #28
bucknuts
Six Point

ttt
Old 10-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #29
XTHunter
Four Point

When do the good bucks start getting after the does in this area? Whitetail
XTHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #30
Palehorse
Six Point

Hunt In: All over

I hunted Matador a few years ago. It was the rifle hunt, but I was within bow range of several mule deer bucks. With a little skill and a lot of luck, it can be done with a recurve.

On the rifle hunt, the antler restrictions are tougher, at least 4 points on one side. There are a ton of mulies around there that are nice and wide, but 3 points on either side and no brow tines. They don't seem to grow them until they get very mature. The antler restrictions for the archery hunt is easier, the spread must be just outside the ears.

I hunted the North Middle pasture. I found where the mulies were hopping over the fence from the ranch on the north side and set up there. That's not where I got mine, but I had several mulie bucks that would fit the archery antler restrictions pass within just a few yards. Would have been a chip shot with a bow.

This guy I shot at about 75 yards. Could have gotten closer but there was no need with a rifle. I got him pretty close to the windmill in the North Middle pasture. He was surrounded by does and was living the life. I hope the old boy knocked a couple out before I got him.

BTW, my avatar is the front view of that deer's rack.

Here's a few more pics of the place. Good luck!

Palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #31
bucknuts
Six Point

WOW That is incredible. Nice job I'm excited to say the least.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #32
bulltx50
Ten Point

Hunt In: baylor,knox,foard,king counties

Green and lush on the Matador as well as the majority of North Texas. Try to scout from an advantage point with sun to your back over grassy meadows, you will see them. It's a matter of getting close enough to put an arrow in. Love hunting there if I could ever get drawn again.
bulltx50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2016, 12:49 AM   #33
Palehorse
Six Point

Hunt In: All over

Quote:
WOW That is incredible. Nice job I'm excited to say the least.
Thanks, but that was the last deer there. There are no deer left at Matador. No need for anyone else to apply. Nothing left but hoot owls and polecats.
Palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #34
bucknuts
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehorse View Post
Thanks, but that was the last deer there. There are no deer left at Matador. No need for anyone else to apply. Nothing left but hoot owls and polecats.
UH huh.... I'm here now....looks awesome. I'm thinking lone canyon or samson or north middle. I don't really care. Never hunted this type of terrain its going to be a blast.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #35
BMC
Four Point

Hunt In: East TX

Good luck man! Hope ya get a nice one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BMC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #36
bucknuts
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Good luck man! Hope ya get a nice one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey Man...lol... Thanks im guna try to get it done. Its sweet out here.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #37
bucknuts
Six Point

So... Having a great hunt at Matador. I spent Tuesday morning glassing from the east side of lone canyon looking west. A soon as the sun hit the west side i spotted a spike . Then 5 minutes later 3 bucks. One small two almost legal . Hard to tell at that distance. I watched them feed into a draw then hauled it across canyon. Made my way up the other side and glassed them again. Some how i ended up above them. I eased around a cedar and there they were 10 yards below me with there heads down. Still cannot tell if i can shoot. Two bucks move behind a cedar and i wait. The bigger buck comes around the cedar and spots me. Bounds off to 30 yards. I got a good look then. Not legal as far as i could tell. I accomplished what i came to do even without a kill. I'm seeing deer everyday . And i saw a good buck Wednesday at dark. I have one more day. I have never hunted mule deer before but i think i have found a new passion.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #38
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Good Luck!
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2016, 11:23 PM   #39
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park

sounds like you did it right, good luck tomorrow.
bowtecmike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #40
TCodyAg
Six Point

How did it go today?

Old 10-20-2016, 09:49 PM   #41
bucknuts
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCodyAg View Post
How did it go today?

Well... I parked at the first windmill in lone canyon around 7. Eased my way down a draw running east to west. Waited for the sun then glassed the west again where i had been seeing deer. Waited till 9 with nothing happening. So i decided to go where no man has been before...In the center of lone canyon there was a big draw that splits the canyon running north. I climbed it ,ate breakfest and saw a whitetail spike below. Must have seen me. So i continued north with the cold front in my face. Wind blowing good. Came around a bend and saw a doe at 30 yards with her back to me. I sneaked around her to avoid jumping her. Made it past her and glassed north. I pull up my binos and there stands a great buck well outside the ears .200 yards. Now this is the thickest place on top of that draw. Much like a big whitetail he knows how to stay hidden. So i stalked through the thick cedars very slowly making my way north. Long story short i never saw him again. But i kicked myself for not hunting this way from day one. Its funny how after a few days out of the concrete jungle you get into predator mode . And i seem to figure out where i should have been hunting all along on the last day. It was a great experience for a pine thicket hunting, Louisiana boy. I think i did great for a mule deer virgin. But all the info on this site sure helped. I cant wait to go back. Stay in the shadows. Wind in your face. Hunt all day and find the thickets draws. You will find a good buck.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #42
TCodyAg
Six Point

Nice. Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #43
bucknuts
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfish View Post
hunt lone canyon it has alot of draws you can hunt.
By the way, thanks Dirtfish.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #44
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
I cant wait to go back.
Count your blessings you got picked at all, been waiting to go back since 2005... pffft new draw system SUCKS!
bossbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2016, 10:04 AM   #45
Archer156
Eight Point

Bucknuts, This is Kenny the guy that shot the buck on the first morning and gave you info on how to hunt long canyon! Had a good time talking with you and sharing my hunt and info on the Matador WMA with you! Hope it helped you out and I hope you got hooked on hunting the muledeer for life! Hope to hunt some place again with you sometime!
Archer156 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #46
bucknuts
Six Point

Hey man...yea it was sweet. Next year i'm guna need info on the other units... lol. Glad you got one. I was **** close just wasn't sure if it was legal. I have had a buck taken from me before. You should have seen the buck i saw the last day. Ridiculous.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #47
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Next year i'm guna need info on the other units... lol.
Just FYI they don't take standbys there for the muley hunts, at least they didn't in 2005, couple fellers drove halfway across the state only to be very very dissapointed
bossbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #48
bucknuts
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Just FYI they don't take standbys there for the muley hunts, at least they didn't in 2005, couple fellers drove halfway across the state only to be very very dissapointed

lol
Old 10-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #49
Seacoal
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern Uvalde County

Man I love that place. Always see big deer there. My first trip out we rattled a low 140 inch deer to about 40 yards at last light and never got a shot. Me and my roommate stalked a 155" 8 point to about 12 yards 2 years ago on a rifle doe hunt. He had a deer on the first day that he saw that he thought would have **** near pushed the book. Lots of Mulies, although I've yet to see a monster Buck yet, and coyotes as well. Sounds like you had a great hunt as well.
Seacoal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #50
Archer156
Eight Point

Always a awesome time at Matador! I had the best hunt I have ever had on muledeer it was the classic by the book hunt everything fell into place just like it's suppose to work for once!
Archer156 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top