Youth Javelina Hunt at the Chap next weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Javelina Hunt at the Chap next weekend

My son was drawn and I just got off of the line with someone down at the Chap and the person thought, but wasn't sure, that the hunt went through the whole day on Sunday. Can anyone confirm this? I know on the adult hunts they cut off at noon on Sunday, but we started on Friday instead of Saturday.Thanks!

They should go through the whole day sunday. All of my youth hunts did, and all of my adult hunts were mid week so no comparison there. When we hunted Big Bend on a youth hunt we hunted sunday afternoon as we were leaving the park. Got to hunt the whole way out because everyone else had already called it.

Comment

My son participated in this hunt a few years ago and they let the kids hunt through Sunday evening. Because they don't get started until Saturday afternoon, they give them extra time. Not sure about this year but assuming they will run it the same way.

If you've never done the javelina hunt down there, best bet is take LOTS of corn. Spread it generously in your entire compartment, not just the around the stands you are going to hunt. If your kid gets bored, you can walk (or drive) around your compartment checking the other roads/senderos. Javelinas LOVE corn and my kids enjoy stalking and shooting more than sitting in a stand. Be sure to re-corn on Sunday because it sure disappears in a hurry down there.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
        My son participated in this hunt a few years ago and they let the kids hunt through Sunday evening. Because they don't get started until Saturday afternoon, they give them extra time. Not sure about this year but assuming they will run it the same way.

If you've never done the javelina hunt down there, best bet is take LOTS of corn. Spread it generously in your entire compartment, not just the around the stands you are going to hunt. If your kid gets bored, you can walk (or drive) around your compartment checking the other roads/senderos. Javelinas LOVE corn and my kids enjoy stalking and shooting more than sitting in a stand. Be sure to re-corn on Sunday because it sure disappears in a hurry down there.
        Yep, I have done the adult hunt a couple of times and always have a couple of bags of corn. They used to not tell you whether you could bait until you got down there, but they did when I went. The Javis find the corn in a hurry.

Thanks for the suggestion on moving around if the kids get bored. I know I do when I hunt it myself.

Comment

Thanks Seacoal!

Comment

My kids have been drawn there a few times. They have let them hunt until Sunday night. Have to be out an hour after shooting time ends. My son got drawn for this hunt, see you out there!

Comment

Looking forward to it 1elkaholic2! Leaving at 2:30 in the morning to get there with enough time to set up the tent before check in. I hope my son has as much fun as I did on the adult hunts.

Comment

Looks like good weather for this weekend down there.

Comment

I was about to start this thread. My son, myself, a buddy of mine, and his son will be down there. We are planning on taking corn and using the tailgate feeder, we are going to corn every road in our area. My son is taking his crossbow and his buddy is taking his compound, we are going to walk/ drive checking our roads until we find Javelina on them and then let the stalk begin. They will have there rifles if stalking does not work out. I will be in the black Chevy with TBH sticker in back window.

Comment

Be sure to post some pictures guys. Love to see the kids with their kills.

I'm heading down the following week with both my boys (taking them out of school on Friday) and my wife. My youngest got a Mission Craze for Xmas and is dying to try it out on something other than my target in the backyard. Hope the weather is good.

Comment

Should be a great weekend! I will be in a white Dodge Ram with a fiberglass canopy on it. See you guys there.

Comment

We have arrived. Texas Bowhunter is well represented.

Comment

Post up some pixels. I'll be there next weekend for the Sat-Mon morning hunt.

Good luck and leave me a few.

Comment

Just looked at the Weather Channel and it's 82 here. We got out of the box blind and set chairs in the shade so we could see down the senderos.

Comment

We had one hog step out on the sendero walking away from us down wind at about 175 yards. Never gave us a shot. Still waiting....

Comment

Working...
                              X