Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upside/downside to buying land in Oklahoma vs. Texas (or other neighboring state)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upside/downside to buying land in Oklahoma vs. Texas (or other neighboring state)

My wife are considering a land purchase that would be mostly for recreation. Southeast and Northeast Oklahoma is enticing for both geography and location (we live in Dallas), as wells as investment costs.

I was wondering if there were some folks here that had thoughts on buying in Oklahoma, especially when you live in Texas, versus buying in Texas.

I know some TBHers hunt up there and I don't recall seeing any complaints.

One thing, among many, that I appreciate about TBH is the depth of experience that can be found here.

Thanks for your time.

Courtney

Like to smoke a little weed huh?

Comment

bump because I'm interested in the answers as well

Comment

Well, I never thought I would say this....but I would totallly consider Oklahoma these days. In the future Texas could turn blue. No way in hell Oklahoma ever does.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Out of state hunting license for gun and bow are 600.00 for out of state?

Comment

I’ve been considering Oklahoma also seems to be a fair price on acreage as compared to Texas. I’m in Houston and not quite retired yet so the drive is probably the only thing holding me back

Comment

Originally posted by reddogdan View Post
              Out of state hunting license for gun and bow are 600.00 for out of state?
              If you buy land up there, you should be able to get a resident license I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                If you buy land up there, you should be able to get a resident license I would think.
                Not necessarily....

Comment

Before purchasing in OK check into Arkansas. Low taxes, same geography and basically the same drive. Arkansas is usually rated as #1 state as far as retiring to because of low cost of living.

Comment

I live in the Dallas area and bought a small recreational property in SE OK.

Pro's:
                    - Very low property taxes, due to generous ag exemptions
                    - No hunting license required to hunt hogs on private property

Con:
                    - Expensive non-resident hunting licenses, and owning land does NOT make you a resident

Comment

The out of state "hunting" license is not expensive. The tags used to be 300.00 each which do not come with the license.

Comment

OK out of state license costs are:

"hunting license"- required for stuff like turkey, small game etc- $100 . Do not have to purchase this for deer hunting in addition to the separate deer license.

archery deer- $300 but can hunt Oct to Jan and take 6 deer total(bag limit may vary by county but I'm not sure) You used to have to purchase a separate tag for each deer you wanted to harvest but that changed recently and it is included in the license cost now.
                        muzzleloader deer- another $300. short season
                        rifle deer- another $300. short season
                        elk, bear other large game have additional licenses(I think bear is $500-600)
                        youth deer license I believe is $100 ea.

Hogs do not require a hunting license(need a special permit for night hunting). I don't think coyotes do either.

So if you hunt deer, hogs and coyotes with a bow only then it's $300 per year which is what I'm doing on my lease up there.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                            Only if it’s your residence mailing address

Comment

But if your going to retire there some day then I think it might be worth while!!

Comment

Working...
                              X