Kawasaki mule idle issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kawasaki mule idle issues

We've got a 2013 trans mule 4x4. It's had an idle issue for a long while now. It runs like a bat if you're giving it gas, but it won't idle for nothing, not for any extended amount of time anyway... I can adjust the idle to a much higher rpm and it will "idle" but that's not good either. We've taken it to shop a few times. All 3 claimed it was a doing it for 3 different reason and within a couple months of the shops putting their own form of band aide on it, it's not wanting to idle again.
    So starting again from square one, any pointers from the TBH brain-trust? Maaaaybe someone has had and fixed this same issue...?

Thanks!

have you tried to adjust the throttle positioning sensor while its running? thats been the only issue with one of ours at the ranch.

Comment

We have 2 Mules and both do the exact same thing. It's like they idle really low when just sitting there and finally just peter out. They run just fine and crank up fine, but can't idle. It's to the point that whenever I come to a complete stop to do anything that takes over a minute, I just turn them off.

Comment

Is it fuel injected or carb?

Comment

Mine did the same thing. Kawasaki dealer in Goldthewaite fixed it under warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
            Mine did the same thing. Kawasaki dealer in Goldthewaite fixed it under warranty.
            Ours isn't under warranty anymore. What did they do to it?

Comment

Originally posted by RealTreeHunter View Post
              Ours isn't under warranty anymore. What did they do to it?
              Mine wasn't under warranty either but they said kawasaki new they had issues with the engine design. Not sure what they did but it runs great now.

Comment

Wish I could help, because ours did the same thing. I took it in to get serviced, and they fixed it, but I don't know what they did. Are you running the mid range octane gas in it? We have always ran the mid octane stuff in it, and I will add some fuel additive to it every now and then if I know it will be sitting for a while without use.

Comment

My 610 is ten years old but has been running just fine. Last time out it ran good for an hour. After that it was all downhill. Every time I came to a stop it died. When I ran it at a regular speed no problems. Could the carburetor be clogged? Gas tank drained? Spark plug changed? Going to take it apart next time to the lease.

Comment

Oops....Cuz.....did not me to high jack your thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Solocam00 View Post
                      have you tried to adjust the throttle positioning sensor while its running? thats been the only issue with one of ours at the ranch.
                      I have seen this done before on another Mule 610. Turned the idle up. It would idle fast. However, when putting it in gear it would make a loud clunk.

Comment

My 2014 trans mule did the EXACT same thing. It was the throttle position sensor and was covered under warranty. Dropping mine off there was a guy picking one up just like it and his was a year older and was doing same thing and was covered under warranty, and it was the same fix. I think it wouldve been no more than 3-400$ without warranty but it has been a a year and a half so I may be a little off.

Comment

I have an older 610 as well. First off, I love it. Is cold natured but I can live with that. I have the opposite problem. Mine tends to idle too fast. ByronB talked about the loud clunk when going into gear and I believe that is because it is going into gear with the idle too fast. That could cause damage to transmission gears. I have a fix for that in that I just start the thing in gear as not to damage the transmission gears. You can start one in gear if you put your foot on the brake while starting it.

Comment

my 2005 Trans did that, took it to the shop and they greased the throttle cable, took the inner steel cable out and wiped and re greased.... i was expecting a $300 carb cleaning bill... cost me $40

Comment

We have this problem pretty often. Mostly likely the throttle body is dirty. You can take it off and clean it, or you can run a couple tanks of gas w seafoam or injector cleaner through it. Usually clears up after two tanks or so. I was told this is because of running crappy fuel. Mules like higher octane fuels.

Comment

Working...
                              X