Made a portable feeder for bow hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a portable feeder for bow hunting

I looked at several DIY feeders and decided this was practical for what I needed. I'll probably paint it but I just put it together last night.

You going to hang it? How much will it hold?

Comment

Dang,I've never even thought about something like that that's pretty nifty

Comment

Nice feeder. Can you post the instructions?

Comment

Thats sweet! How did you attach it to the bucket?

Comment

Probably strap it to a tree and it's a 5 gallon bucket, so whatever that comes out to in pounds. Thanks!

Comment

I'll get some more pics so y'all have an idea of what I used. I google searched PVC deer feeder and took a couple ideas from the ones I liked and made this one. Most of the ones I found online used 6" PVC but I used 2" PVC. Figured maybe I would go through so much corn that way! I'll make a list of material along with pics and post it in a bit.

Comment

Looks good. I use the same type and have had great luck with them. I generally put them out in new areas to see what comes in before setting up a feeder. Lately I have been setting them on trails, and have a few deer coming to them. I didn't make mine with the bucket so I could strap it to a tree. I was taking bailing wire & just wrapping to a tree, but it was a pain to fill it, so I added a bottom part that the feeder bottom rest in & cheap straps to secure it to the tree. I loosen the strap remove the feeder from holder & fill at eye level. Then strap it back up.

Remember to drill some drain hole in the bottom, so it doesn't fill with water.
                Attached Files

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Good job. That outta work.

Comment

pretty neat, I'll have to see what kind of pvc I have laying around the house.

Comment

Ok I'm going to try to explain this the best I can.
                        Materials needed:
                        1 - 5 gallon bucket with lid
                        1 - 3ft of 2" PVC pipe
                        1 - 3" schedule 40 WYE PVC (the elbow on the bottom)
                        1 - end cap - drill holes so water can drain out
                        1 - PVC adapter that goes from 3" to 2"
                        1 - 2" PVC adapter threaded on one end
                        1 - galvanized flange 2"
                        4 - bolts to bolt the flange to the bucket
                        4 - nuts
                        8 - washers to fit the bolts
                        4 - lock washers

I started out by putting the flange on the bottom of the bucket and outlining the inside of the flange on the bucket with a permanent marker. I cut it out with a dremel tool and then placed the flange back on it, marked my 4 bolt holes and drilled them out. I put a washer on each bolt and put the bolt in from the outside. i then put a washer on the bolt from the inside and then a lock washer and a nut. Do that to all 4 bolts, obviously, and tighten then down, snug but not too tight because you don't want to break the plastic or weaken it.

Then I drilled holes in the end cap with a small drill bit. i just made sure the bit was small enough so that corn couldn't get through. Pic isn't that great because I had to lift it up and take pic at the same time.

Then I put the 3" to 2" adapter into the top of the 3" shedule 40 WYE and the end cap on the bottom.

Next attach the PVC pipe and the 2" adapter that's threaded on one end and then screw that into the flange. I just screwed it in hand tight.

After that put the other end of the PVC pipe into the 3" to 2" adapter that is in the schedule 40 WYE. Now you should have a homemade feeder!

You can use different size PVC but that all they had at my local store. I may shorten the PVC pipe so it'll be easier to fill. I didn't glue any of it together just in case I need to make some adjustments. Copy my design, make it your own but post pics and instructions so we all can benefit!!
                        Last edited by bamtex; 08-15-2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Man, you have plenty of Gas cans in you shop...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Rambow View Post
                            Good job. That outta work.
                            Work 'til the 'coons and tree rats locate it--then it's empty. And, a big old smelly boar would rip it off the tree-

Comment

can it sling gravel, or better yet does it have a 1/4 second timer on it?

Comment

Working...
                              X